"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, August 2, 2010

Brain Turmoil

I've had to look back at a few posts to remind myself to stay connected to what really matters, just to get through the ups and downs of each day.
My husband is preparing to go into full-swing job finding mode.  This doesn't fit comfortably, but we'll see how it wears. 
I am dealing with anxieties about my oldest child and his future---despite the great promise I have to smother the heart longings of loss as he leaves the nest and tries to make his path.  I know, I know---every mother MUST do it, and it's been done over and over.  I assert it remains HUGE in every loving mother's heart.
We are hosting a student from China right now.  He is a personable young man with great charm and fantastic English abilities.  I know he will do well.  He experienced our campfire with hot dogs and s'mores last evening.  He shared with us photos of his wife and family, all on his computer files.  He was able to link with her via Skype right away last night.  China is so close these days.  They can experience every thing together via the internet.  After ten years of hosting we have seen all sorts of communication worldwide, our present student is the first to be this connected, right away.  Progress.
I moved my oldest son's things to the storage area over the past weekend in preparation for his college departure.  It was all done in a rush, getting ready for our foreign guest.  I wonder if I will regret the hurried ejection of his personal effects when I'm missing him this fall.  Transitioning from one phase of his life to the next is monumental, and he seems to be behaving with grace.  All good.
We are all weary today.  Last week one of my brothers opened the New York Stock Exchange one morning, as his bank went to a public stock option.  That day was filled with news and media reports and excitement for him and his family.  We are not close, but there is a certain understanding.  I am glad for him.  Apparently he was in the neighborhood this weekend with his girlfriend, but we didn't get in touch.
We drove to Iowa for a family reunion.  We happened to have 3 dogs with us, as we were pet-sitting a friend's pooch.  The canines contributed to the on going mayhem.   A good time was had by all.
The next day a church family wedding took place, and how sweet it was!  There is nothing like a sacred ceremony that actually means something these days!  Too many people have a wedding just to throw a party for a relationship that has already had a conjugal beginning perhaps months or even years before.  Why bother?  This was a real covenant made between two faithful families, and the wedding was a real event.  The holy expectancy was real.  I'm so glad all of my children were able to be there and witness this.  I hope that they may have the same experience when (if) they marry.
Well, Midwest Living, the magazine, may come calling here in the near future to do a piece on backyard urban apiaries.  I guess I'd better clean up the yard and get mowing.  Maybe I'll get Margaret to  take a few snaps and post them on here first.  Copyright??
The bees seem to be doing really well.  It's August.  Summer is waning. Honey harvest soon.

No comments: