"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, August 30, 2010

The Long Good-bye

Here in Minnesota there is something known as the "long good-bye," a term coined by Garrison Keillor in a monologue many years back.  Listening to him describe it is terribly funny---the guests decide to leave and the hosts say, "how about a little more pie..." the conversation moves to the coat closet area, then out to the front steps.  Finally they are all standing around the car and the guests finally get the car started.  Last words are said as the car is driving away. 
I know the whole scenario, as I'm from Minnesota, and Garrison described the reality of our "long good-byes."
Two years ago my eldest started college on-line.  That was a milestone, and it was the beginning of the "long good-bye" for us.  After homeschooling him from first grade on I was making the break!  Last year he attended the local community college full time, worked multiple hours as a life guard at the YMCA, and enjoyed a energetic social calendar.  Really, I didn't see him much!
Yesterday we drove away with him up to college in northern Minnesota.  We left him there, happily ensconced in his new dormitory, raring to begin a new life.
And the long good-bye just wasn't enough for me!  Today I am weeping when I should be dancing.

No comments: