"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, March 12, 2012

March Music

I've noticed  that March is always a month great for concerts, as people are starting to get out more after winter, musical groups and choirs are starting to perform their repertoire begun since Christmas, and Bach has his birthday (good for several performances in his honor!). Holy Week brings performances of "Messiah," and colleges start senior recitals.

With all the wonderful choices of music to hear it is extremely hard for me to CHOOSE!

I made a good decision yesterday, though.

My husband, son and I went to the second "Pipedreams" birthday bash---celebrating 30 years of the radio program.

It was at Wayzata Community Church, and there were eight organists, each playing something unusual for organ, or something relatively unknown.

Almost two hours of music, and very worthwhile.

I particularly enjoyed a piece from Iceland. It really evoked the land of fire and ice!

Tonight there is a concert at Orchestra Hall that is just too expensive for us to swing, ($54/ticket) but it would be great. One of Israel's foremost singers (Dudu Fisher) is giving a performance there. I'm sure it will be fun.

Next weekend my son will sing with the chapel choir at his college. We plan to attend, but in so doing will miss a rehearsal for another choir my husband and I sing in.

This is March madness, not of the basketball kind.

This smorgasbord of musical events is delectable, but frustrating!

A least the Northern Lights Chorale is performing in April. April 22. Sunday afternoon, 2:30. Benson Great Hall, Bethel University.

As far as I know, I am going to be playing a flute solo, opening a section of the concert. I'm a little nervous already, but it will be fine! My flute teacher, Mary Roberts Wilson, would be so happy! The old flute still gives joy.

I think it's going to be a really fine concert! Consider yourself invited!


We will be singing the following program:


Set 1: The Spiritual Life

Hark! I Hear the Harps Eternal Alice Parker
Crucifixus Antonio Lotti
For God Commanded Angels Felix Mendelssohn
Witness Jack Halloran

Set 2: The Sea of Life

Light of a Clear Blue Morning Arr. Craig Hella Johnson
The Sounding Sea Eric Barnum
I 've Been in the Storm So Long Jeffery L. Ames
We Rise Again Arr. Stephen Smith


Set 3: Life Songs of our Neighbors

Fogarty's Cove Arr. Ron Smail
Feller From Fortune Arr. Harry Somers
Cliffs of Dooneen Arr. Mark Sirett
Loch Lomond Arr. Jonathan Quick


Set 4: The Spanish Life

Canto de Granada Norman Luboff
Ritmo Dan Davison
Tango to Evora Arr. Jon Washburn
Vamos A Bailar Dan Davison

3900 Bethel Drive, Saint Paul, MN 55112



No comments: