"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, April 9, 2012

Travels

Last week was one of unexpected travel. My husband was on a business trip in Indiana and I went with my parents to see my niece's art show near Chicago.

It was fun to see the springtime color, the land coming back to life and the wild plum blossoms in full bloom. In Chicago the lilacs are peak. Here in cold Minnesota they haven't begun to open yet.

Now we may have freeze warnings issued tonight. Another bad year for the apple crops?

I checked our two pie cherry trees this evening and they looked good. They are not ready to bud out yet, though the ornamental crab is about to burst with pink blossoms.

For me the trip brought an impromptu family reunion, and I enjoyed being with my brothers and parents, most of my nieces and nephews and my sisters-in-law.

Meanwhile, back at the home-front, life went on with college papers in progress and other Easter activity.

I finished reading the "Potato Peel Pie Society" and began "In the garden of the Beasts" by Erik Larsen. Two WWII stories back to back, one true, one not.  My eldest son, home for Easter, was writing a paper on Germany's most brilliant general during that war.  Such an infusion of history from that period!

Today the corgi, the lab, AND the cat had spring baths and the shedding hair was a sign of the season!

Now it's time to continue spring cleaning. The bees have been diligent at it. A young friend wanted some dead bees for a science project, and there were none to be found at the hive yesterday. Minnesota Hygienic bees are notorious "neat-freaks" and they had already purged all the winter kill from the hive.
 

My husband was force to capture a few live ones, and I hate to see them in the jar. I know it's ridiculous to be sad for a few bees, but it seems rather cruel to purposefully plot their premature deaths. Bees are always cycling through life, during the summer months about every 40 to 45 days. Heartless creatures themselves, they drive the old workers from the hive to die when they can't bring home anymore nectar or pollen.

Didn't Metternich write of a hive society and its possible benefits for human imitation?

I don't think so.

Industry is to be admired, but there MUST be balance. 

What works amazingly for the bees is simply not human.

Loving this spring sunshine! Thankful for the promise of the seasons from God until the end of time. 



No comments: