"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Dickens LIVE!

Today we listed something on "Craig's List" and a bunch of phone calls came our way immediately. Who to pick?

I screen calls when I'm home, so chances are the machine will pick up all calls. I settled on a nice sounding man from close by. A series of back and forth conversations happened---then it was decided that a friend would come by to pick up the item.

Soon a truck pulled up. Out stepped Sergeant George and Phil from Bleak House, Dickens' masterful novel about unfulfilled promise.

There are few fictional characters that I admire more than Sergeant George. His tough compassion always made me teary. The way he never let his friend Phil down was a lesson in humanity.

Today the "friend" who came to pick up the stuff had a "Phil." A more incongruous pair I couldn't have imagined, "Phil" was almost lame with obvious injuries, "Sergeant George" was quietly in charge and supportive.

Because the stuff was heavy and needed loading it took all humans on deck to accomplish the task. "Phil" threw his weight in too. "Sergeant George" remarked that "Phil" couldn't do much bending and lifting, but boy was he a hard worker!

My heart was softened.

I think lives are hard for many people, but it is touching to see how much we do need each other! How much we need to help each other.

I think that is what Charles Dickens had in mind.

No comments: