"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Musical Gluttony

Last Saturday I was able to be at six concerts. Yes, six.

It was Bach's birthday, so Pipedreams hosted a day of Bach at five different Minneapolis churches, all of which have pipe organs. Each concert was roughly an hour long, featuring the works of Bach on the organ, piano, cello, and medieval instruments, as well as a representation of choral works.

Would that be too much Bach?

Not for me. I loved hearing the music, but also quietly enjoying the different spaces was part of the allure. I happen to love stained glass windows, and each of these churches had remarkable windows.

It was a nice day to trundle between the concerts too---Spring was celebrating its birth too.

I met a woman who teaches flute and french, and we chatted throughout the day--and found out we had similar taste in music. You never know who you will meet who share your passions.

That evening my husband and I heard the Concordia College (Moorhead) Chapel Choir. Ninety-six voices in this group!

My son was in this choir for three years, and I certainly missed him, but it was an excellent concert. These students worked hard on difficult works, and it was great.

I admit that six concerts was a bit much, but I have to say that it set me up for a lovely Sunday, the next day.

A little musical gluttony once in awhile can't be too bad.

No comments: