"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Saturday, February 13, 2016

Twenty-Two

That's the number of items on my list today. I was in my journal listing the things that are taking up my time and my thoughts, you know, the things that your life is all about in an instant?

Twenty-two important things.

That's why my blog writing has suffered.

My spirit is rebelling, because THIS IS FEBRUARY, PEOPLE!!

February in the Northland is the time to curl up by the fireplace and knit and watch Jane Austen films. And now I finally have a fireplace!

Oh well.

Ed had to have an MRI yesterday. His knees continue to worsen, or at least it seems so. My fear is that I'll be pushing a wheel chair before long.

Might as well face the fear...

I am praying for a miracle. There is a young man among our acquaintance who recently had frost-bite on his hands. He is going through wound-care, which we did that fateful summer of 2014. I can only relate. Many are praying for him, and his hands are really recovering much better than predicted. Yes, a miracle. So thankful!

(Yes, it really is very cold here this winter! Sub-temps are a regular occurrence.)

I pray for a miracle for Ed, but I think the miracle will be the RAPTURE, which is fine by me. Perhaps my faith is just smaller than a mustard seed.

The sun is shining today, and the snow is glistening. My skis cry out to me from the corner.

Alas, I have twenty-two big things to occupy my day already...

Many of you have asked about Ed's treatment, and how it is going. I'll just give an update:

He takes oral chemotherapy every day. Once a week an oral dose (quite large) of Methotrexate is given. Once a month he has an infusion of chemo at the clinic. Once every three months he gets a spinal tap. 

We swim three times every week (or more) as part of his on-going physical therapy. This is a huge time drain, as we live about 15 miles from the nearest YMCA.

This treatment will continue for another two years.

Yes, it is long. Leukemia is the longest period treated cancer. We are truly in this for the long haul.

Some of my friends are completely into natural, homeopathic treatment. I, too, advocate natural treatments over pharmaceutical ones.

When Ed was diagnosed with leukemia we were asked to sign an agreement that we would continue the treatment as prescribed by his oncologists. We did that, and that is where we stand now, 1 1/2 years into the treatment. We are bound by that agreement to a reasonable extent.

Overall we are completely pleased with the remission of the cancer, the continued progress, the likelihood of complete recovery. We love his oncologist, and the staff at Children's. We know that they are wonderful people, and have Ed's best interest at heart!

I still get discouraged about things like his knees, Avascular Necrosis. This is where I pray for supernatural things to happen-----water into wine, the blind seeing, the lame walking----------

I do pray for them. God is mighty.

But perhaps that won't happen. I realize that the ultimate plan is God's. Not mine. I can make good decisions about my life and health, but for my body and your body-----God decides---the diseases, illnesses, issues. He does it through genes and circumstance.

It is appointed unto man once to die. We all die. Of something.

So, maybe the Rapture of the church is the ultimate miracle for us. Surely I live my days awaiting it!

You really never know when your last day is-----so live like this is YOUR LAST DAY!

Get right with the LORD, and let your friends know the path to truth and hope.

It's the holiday frequently characterized by flowers and chocolate. I think it would be more appropriate for me to find a .22 rifle to get my sweetheart!

A memory of this incredible time in our lives.
Also handy out here in the country!

You should see the plastic container I put the birdseed in, out in the shed. Whatever varmint found it completely gnawed the thing in pieces! Seriously.

The Corgi and the lab aren't doing their duty, protecting the place from varmints. They sure do enjoy barking at stuff out here, though!



No comments: