"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, August 15, 2017

The Great Divide

I've been away for 22 days. My family calculated the time while I was driving home yesterday.

Being away on three separate trips over the past three weeks has been remarkable for me. The time has served as a huge pause button on my otherwise busy existence.

The puppy needs training. The corn across the road is taller than my head. Flowers need grooming, grass keeps needing to be mown. I have a stack of new books to read, and millions of thoughts to process.

First a little inventory: I left Minnesota at the end of June, traveled through Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona. I flew back home from that trip. Next (late July) I boarded the train and road through North Dakota, Montana, Idaho, and Washington, to Seattle. My kids and I drove to Oregon and back from there. Back home to Minnesota via train---The Empire Builder. I had 24 hours at home, and drove through Wisconsin, Illinois, and Indiana (where we stayed)---on to Kentucky.  Back home for a day, then back to Chicago for the weekend. That's 17 states in one summer! I don't think I've ever done that before.

The trip to Arizona was for our nephew's wedding. Wonderful. The trip to Seattle was to see my son and daughter-in-law and check out their west coast lives. Fantastic. The trip to Kentucky was to see the Ark Encounter with Cherie. I'd gone with Ed last year. My second visit was even better than the first! I love that place. So did Cherie. Lastly, I took my parents to a funeral in Illinois.

Each trip has been marvellous in its own right, and my overall impressions of this summer are hopeful and positive.

What a wonderful world we live in!

The funeral was for my dad's oldest friend. He was 92, and he lived life as it should be lived. How many of us can say that? He was a pastor, mentor, leader, visionary. The service was a statement of eternal hope.

It seemed fitting to end the summer travels with a memorial service. I experienced so many divisions in my travels---Continental divides, racial divides, relational divides, political divides, and even the divide of death that separates believers, if only for a short time.

I felt it was the summer of the Great Divide.


My travels have ended for awhile. I'm pretty sure of that. My place is home, and I'm thrilled to be back in Minnesota for my favorite time of year---harvest, Indian Summer.

I'm looking forward to my Corgi's growth and advancements. This morning the million-dollar-horse that lives at the end of the road came calmly by on the road with its rider. Topaz, the fearless black panther of Corgi Hollows, stalked the horse both ways. That cat has no fear. He is a mighty hunter before the Lord, as Nimrod, and I'm always amazed at his tenderness with Corwyn. They have the most amusing relationship! The cat could kill the puppy in a swat, yet he tolerates all kinds of toothsome harassment! He has the patience of Job.

Nimrod, Job. Such a Biblical creature.

Now we have the eclipse to experience next week. What does it mean? What will it be associated with? These are fascinating times to be alive. Watch for developments with the Federal Reserve.

Get a copy of "Agenda 2, Masters of Deceit" if you can, and watch it. It's a fascinating exposé of collectivism.

I recommend.



No comments: