"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, June 25, 2010

Purity

I'm reading one of my all-time favorite authors lately, George MacDonald.   I love how he slips bits of eternal wisdom and snippets about the love of God in his works of fiction.  I have never been to Scotland, but I think it must be a wonderful place to have produced such great minds like his, Oswald Chambers, the great mathematician Boyle, and other preachers of note. 
Today I think of purity again.  Purity of faith, purity of spirit and mind, purity of understanding.  The Bible admonishes us followers of Christ to be pure.  Mature, some say.  As always, I tend to be most comfortable with the direct translation of the word, even if it has overtones of other meanings. 
Sometimes I think in German, as the words have a more direct implication of what I mean.  In the last sentence the word overtones would have been better "Ahnings"  in the German.  It has a feeling of idea, leaning, yearning, and aspect.  See what I mean?  Sadly, few people can really get the whole meaning of the word.
Back to purity.  Does my cleaving to the simple definition make me a "Meanie?"    Is it possible to condemn behavior that is impure and still be seen as someone who loves, who cares, who wants only the best for those God brings into my life?
I would hope that my life and what I say as encouragement to others would always be seen as loving concern for everyone.  I want all of us to strive for purity. 
The loving care of an eternal God is what I've experienced my whole life, and I know it's possible to experience His love no matter what filth has taken place in anyone's life.
Quite frankly We are called out.  We are called to the narrow path.  We are called to be different.  We are called to be extraordinary.  We are called to purity, and there is no excuse for immoral behavior.
What's immoral?  Scripture has a great list of immorality in Romans 1.  Not many people like to go there because it's rather convicting.  It's there for a purpose.  We're not supposed to do the things on that list.
Thank God there is forgiveness.
Thank God He gives us the grace to actually try to be pure.
No credit to self, just credit and testimony of God's power and His love for this poor old world.  Let's all try a little more purity.  No excuses.  I think George MacDonald would agree, and he was certainly not a "meanie."

No comments: