"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Saturday, May 7, 2011

UPdates

Another job disappointment. I'm numb to it by now, but it seems that God is letting us see that whatever happens will TRULY be a supernatural outcome.
There was another time in our lives when we got to the "eleventh hour" before we knew what would be.
We were living on post at Fort Hood, Texas, with two babies. My husband's army job had come to a close and it had been stressful. This was Operation Desert Storm era. We had to pack up our belongings (a two-bedroom apartment's-worth) as inspections would be occurring at 1100 hours. The house had to be army spic and span. In other words, CLEAN.

The stuff was in the U-haul van. In fact, we discovered half way through packing that we needed two vans after all. Both were packed to the gills. Furniture, bikes, toys, books, piano, organ, memorabilia, clothes, awards, knic-knacs. The babies were in their car seats in one of our cars, and the second car was mounted on a trailer to haul behind one of the trucks. My father-in-law graciously offered to fly down and drive the second moving van.
But where?
We had no plans. We had no job. We had no destination! By default we decided to head for my parent's house in Minnesota. Minneapolis was pretty big. Surely there would be a job for a healthy young man with a family in that big city! My folks had an extra garage that we thought would do for storing our stuff temporarily. But really. There was no PLAN.
My mom flew down to Dallas, and I picked her up at the airport with my babies in the back seat. We headed for Minneapolis. My husband cleared out of his military career and met his dad for the trip north.
This was August. In Texas. It was hot. REALLY HOT!
This is how memories are made, and this is how we learn from experience. This is what we recall when the future looks bleak.
Do you already know that a lovely plan unfolded in the next 24 hours? God is good. I will leave that as a teaser for an upcoming bio chapter. For now I am reminded that God has a plan. He KNOWS it. It may be hard. It may be unbelievable! But I am willing to see it unfold. Happy Mother's Day!

No comments: