"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, September 30, 2011

Shasta

Do you know the character Shasta, in the Chronicles of Narnia? He is the main person in "The Horse and His Boy." For whatever reason this book was always my favorite in the Chronicles. Romance? Talking horses? A black cat?

The other night I was awake, (probably around 3 am) and ruminating about our lives, our current situation of Not Knowing, of plans to be made for cutting back. I tend to fight fear during these mid-darkness thinking sessions, even though I know better.

In my wakefulness my black cat landed softly on the bed, padded his way up to my back and curled up against me.

And I was reminded of Shasta.

In Shasta's night of terror, among the tombs outside Tashban, a black cat came to him. It curled up against his back and its warmth spread to his whole body. It purred and communed with him, offering comfort only a beast can give, but something more. Reassurance.

Those who have read the books know Who that cat was, the God of Narnia in a lowly disguise. Aslan, the great Lion, had come to comfort Shasta in a way that reassured him instead of terrifying him!

And I am reassured that God uses old favorite tales to remind me that He has everything worked out just fine.

No comments: