"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, August 9, 2013

What Have We Been Doing?

Time for a Friday update on the activities of Corgi Hollows.

We're hardly twiddling our thumbs over here.

Bridal showers, wedding planning, preparations of all kinds, shopping, cleaning, sorting, (laundry),...

Margaret is at camp again this week, her third out of four weeks this summer. It was hard for her to go this time, with all the fun happening here at home, but she is a trooper, and she went.

She has nine girls in her cabin, and she's the camp lifeguard, so that is a big responsibility.

This camp is for children from a very violent neighborhood in Minneapolis. Most of the girls have major trauma in their lives. Because the camp is free to campers, it is a very popular place for guardians to "park" their charges for a time.

The staff does all they can to love, feed, and nurture these children spiritually. It's challenging, as the problems the kids have are so great.

But God is greater. There have been moments of real joy and peace for these little souls at camp.

Pray for Margaret.

I was able to find all the clothes for the groomsmen yesterday. (I must dress two of them!) And I looked for shoes for the two bridesmaids I must outfit. The bridesmaid dresses are in progress. I'm knitting a little sweater for the bride to wear after the ceremony, during the reception, at her request. It's going to be a mid-September evening, and it will probably have a bite of fall in the air.The sweater will feel good.

Plans are tripping along, adjustments are made, and we go with the flow!

I won't say the colors, or the ideas---but I CAN say it's going to be just lovely.

Today I'm taking the pastor's wife out to survey the garden spot where the ceremony will occur. Where shall the chairs go? Where will we set up canopies? How many tables?

You see, the wedding is going to be at Grandma and Grandpa's house---and preparations must be made by our family as well!

It's such a fun twist on a traditional affair. I feel it is a real privilege to be so involved.

Add to that the starting of a new home for the newlyweds. I've always said I could outfit an entire house with all my SPARE stuff, but that's not as fun as using your own beautiful wedding gifts! I will be happy to fill in the nooks and crannies of need when the time arrives.

My two dearest sister friends are far away. They are visiting Hong Kong for a week, and I miss them so! Our usual "texting" is on hold.

I've let the yard go, but Ed has been keeping the neighbor's yard looking spiffy. We had a deal worked out with our neighbor this summer. It benefited me. I got an Android tablet out of the deal, but I'm paying Ed every time he mows next door----It's an expensive tablet!---but so worth it. I must say that I find the device confusing still. I'm hopelessly un-tech savvy.

Cherie has been home now. Her occasional outings seem to satisfy her. She's reading book after book about some horse or another. Oh to be 10 and loving horses!

My second son is home from his ROTC training. We don't see much of him, as he prefers the company of his lovely fiancee! (Which is completely understandable!) He's getting organized for the start of his senior year at the University.

My eldest is still training. We do hear from him now. All's well. If only he knew how his fiancee ---and all of us!---are steadily humming along with preparations involving him!

The pets are fine. The dogs have been showing their age this summer, quieting down and staying closer to home. Blackberry continues to suffer from ear maladies. Misty just happily watches for crumbs and love. Predicate wanted "out" this morning, and she made a quick tour of the deck, patio, and hosta garden, before she zipped back up the deck stairs to the back door. She belongs.

Kiwi IS the feline ruler, and his demands are always met. He tends to follow me around everywhere, so when I don't see him I wonder.

When I'm gone for a weekend he is much more clingy afterwards.

We had a lovely family reunion on my husband's side last weekend. It was in Iowa. So many new faces, good talks. My in-laws can be completely satisfied that the event, which they hosted, was a total success. Folks came from the east and the west. The food was marvelous.

My husband has an aunt who lives in central Nebraska. She grows corn and raises cattle. Beef cattle. I've been switching to a more vegetarian lifestyle this past year, but I'm telling you, I would never pass up Aunt M's beef roast.

It's magnificent. Of course she feeds and tends her cows as cows should be fed and tended. The roast is put in the oven at 250° ALL NIGHT LONG, with onions, salt and pepper. She had added a "rub" too. (Not duplicatable).

It's something else. Tender, flavorful and absolutely mouth-watering.

I'm trying to make it in the oven right now. I put the chuck roast (our grass-fed organic beef) last night. I chopped up onions, and salted and peppered it. I added some garlic salt too.

The smell of it when we got up this morning was delicious. I turned the temp down this morning, as we aren't eating until late afternoon---but I HOPE I got it right! We'll see.

Berries have had the BEST year too. I'm making blueberry pie again this afternoon. I think it is my favorite pie.---But pecan, lemon, coconut, french silk, and Haralson Apple pie are--------

I like pie.

So does my husband :) It's a nice way to show him some love! (I recommend pie for husbands)

Well, off to a gorgeous day. The weather has been wonderfully cool here these past weeks. I've heard other parts of the world are baking, but we've had pure perfect after our LONG winter.

Blessings.

No comments: