"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Gospel

Last night I watched a ten minute blip about a preacher's regrets. He wept that he had lost opportunities to share the Gospel in his life.

Since he HAS shared the gospel, and with 1,000's if not millions of people, I was struck in my own heart of the times I had not spoken truth to someone I cared about.

The Gospel:

You can do absolutely nothing to save yourself eternally. Jesus did it on the cross.

God loves you, and He is holy. Mankind was separated from God through Adam.

God provided a way for man to be restored to fellowship with Himself.

It's simple, humbling, complex.

It requires faith. Faith in Jesus Christ, that He died on the cross, taking the punishment for sin-----forever.

That God would die to save us is the heart of the Gospel.

We are called to believe.

The whole story is found in the Holy Bible, Old and New Testaments.  With all the Biblical illiteracy out there that may come as a surprise.

If you haven't read the Bible, do.

The map to eternal salvation is laid out from Genesis to Revelation. Don't skip any books. The Gospel of John is a great place to start, but so is Genesis.

I've spent the last two years just reading Revelation and Jude as my personal quiet time. We are reading through the whole Bible as a home-school project. The richness it adds to life is incomparable. The framework, encouragement, and daily leading it affords us is priceless.

When going through illness, joblessness, despair, and depression the Word of God is the life-line to keeping on.

When I was about 10 years old I heard a preacher speak about the "end times." As a ten year old that was fascinating. Probably just like kids today have this fascination with Star Wars, Armageddon, and the Apocalypse (it's all the rage in the theaters).

My fascination never quit. I've pursued my interest in Bible prophecy my whole life. I watch the "false prophets" come and go, the trends, the predictions, the world events with great interest.

But I have a grid to evaluate all of this: God's Word. If it doesn't match up with what's in Scripture, it just isn't true. What happens in the world just confirms the glorious truth of God's word, the Bible. It's amazing, and it only becomes more so every day. (Things are happening so fast these days!---Ezekiel, Daniel!!)

People who don't know ALL of God's word tend to pick out whatever they want to back up a particular idea from the Word. There are differing opinions about some theological matters, but on the crucial ones, regarding salvation, there can be no dispute. For example, whether it's free-will or predestination is irrelevant to how God saves us. (Go ahead and have your opinion on that one!)

Faith in Jesus Christ alone is what saves. What He did on the cross was sufficient. We can do nothing to save ourselves except believe.

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life. No one comes to the Father, but by me."

Jesus only.

And that's the Gospel. Believe.

And let me know if I can be any help to you. Please! 

No comments: