"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Winter Preparations

It's a joy to have a husband who can do almost anything mechanical. It seems that every year when the temps drop below freezing our fleet of cars balk and sneeze, rumble and sniff.

This calls for super-car man, and my husband becomes the hero!

Have you priced car repair lately?

We drive an old set of cars, all of them belong to us, and we repair them as needed.

A couple of Sundays ago our two eldest boys needed to call AAA the same night! Both of the vehicles they were in quit on the side of the road. One of those cars is STILL not working, and I think the other has been repaired.

Cars can be a pain.

Tonight one of our cars should be back in service after several weeks of being up on the jacks. This is a victory!

The leaves are slowly finding their ways to the compost pile. Ed has been doing most of that work.

We picked 8 buttercup squash of various sizes. Delicious! I baked the largest one with brown sugar and butter.

Yum.

I found a new seasoning that simply must be a part of our home-made pizza from now on:

It was purchased at Aldi, in one of those 4 seasoning containers, Italian flavors. It was called "tomato herb" seasoning.

I had been saving it for a special occasion, I guess! I used the whole amount on two pizzas, spicing up the (organic) hamburger. It was wonderful.

I found a recipe for a "tomato herb" seasoning online, and I intend to mix it up before the next pizza party.

I used pesto on the crust instead of sauce, and it had a real zing. Everyone loved it.

I just read the "Pioneer Woman" book/romance about her meeting and marrying her cowboy. It's fun. It's cute. It's a little steamy for my taste, but I am a self-admitted prude (to the enth degree). I'm sure that by worldly standards it is "tame."

She has some good recipes in the back of the book, and one of them mentions pizza with pesto. I think we are tracking!

I'm loving having a new daughter-in-law! She's just a peach, in so many ways. My son is happy, they are full of hope and joy. Thank you, Lord God!

This blog is full of "I's" and I'm sorry about that!!

It's a report....

My friend is getting married on Saturday, 40 years less one week from her first marriage. Her fiance's wife died a few years back, but her first husband died 20 years ago. I'm so happy for her. It will be a joyous occasion. She's wearing the SAME dress she wore the first time! It's beautiful, and she sewed it herself. It will be a sweet, homey wedding.

My second son ran the Army 10 miler last weekend, and his ROTC team (from the U) finished in third place! He came in personally in the mid-300's, and that's pretty good for a field of 26,000 finishers! So glad for him.

I'm struggling with pride.

But things are certainly not hunky-dory here.

We continue to manage Ed's illness. Life is different. It's a challenge for all of us, and now that he is getting more sleep we see major improvement. I have been able to leave him for short periods of time.

I've been so grateful that my headaches have been minimal-----due to the added adrenaline, surely. As soon as he started sleeping more I got a doozy of a head ache. I still struggle with the pain, but I hope to see the physical therapist this afternoon.

Our organic lifestyle switch may have something to do with it too. I recommend!

God is good. He provides what we need, when we need it, and we are simply waiting on His plan, not our own.

Other winter prep---a punch bowl of fish on the counter in the bathroom. I just CAN'T let them die!

Our Northern Lights Chorale fall concert is coming up. One in Rochester, MN this weekend, one at Benson Great Hall, Bethel University on November 16.

My husband and I will be there. I will play my flute for one number. Singing the rest. Come if you can. http://www.northernlightschorale.com/

Ed was able to get to the inauguration of the organ at the St. Paul Cathedral last week. An organist from Notre Dame in France was the performer. He said it was wonderful.

Until his concentration improves he is taking a break from his own organ studies. We pray he can resume them soon.

Welcome to all you new readers.

You can find me on Pinterest, where I get political, with Interests and Heart Matters, http://www.pinterest.com/corgi71/boards/, and on Twitter.

God is good, all the time.

Be light. Be salt, until Jesus comes!



No comments: