"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, February 18, 2014

What I Did Right

There was a book popular when my parents were raising us, "What They Did Right."

It was good. I read it when I became a parent. Lots of good advice.

I am the first to admit that I do lots of things wrong. Flat out wrong. My human nature is suffused with pride, anger, lust, envy, gluttony, greed and sloth, and I make no excuse for it. I am human. I am sorry, though, for my failures.

But some things I feel strongly about that I have done right, and my husband certainly has done right, too.

I shed a tear for a friend this morning. She was to spend her last day of maternity leave today. I can't tell you how sorrowful that made me, for her, and her little baby girl. I stayed home with my kids. I am their mother, and I raised them. I take full responsibility for their behavior, their education, and their productivity as citizens of the U.S. My husband worked hard and we cut corners financially for me to stay home. But I never felt deprived, truly, though for a time we even qualified for public assistance!---Didn't take it though. I am sure we did right by doing this. I am so glad that I was with my kids  for every small moment of growth.

I got a college degree. No regrets here, either. College, and post graduate work for me was the right decision. I've used it to raise five humans.

Teaching my children a fear of God. Where my children were taught to respect grown-ups, they were even more impressed with respecting God. God was introduced as a loving Judge. Their behavior was always seen, always evaluated, even though mom's or dad's eyes missed it.

God was in our home, always, every minute. Every word was said with Him listening.
Do you know what that does to the language in the home? It's pretty freeing, really. No onslaught of bad word choices.

I raised my children to be independent. Hey, we have eternity to be together! This world and this life is so short compared to that! I am glad they have grown up and matured, able to be on their own quickly. I'm glad they have life goals and so far, two have wonderful women as spouses!

I'm glad I've lived my whole life with a daily expectation that Jesus was coming for His Bride, the church. I've always believed in the rapture, that great catching away, and it has shaded every single day of my life. I have hoped for it every single day. What a great way to live! Some might call it apocalyptic, I call it living every day as if it's your LAST. (Quite frankly, I never believed I'd ever see age 40, and here I am with an extra decade!!!!) Maranatha, Lord Jesus!

With that in mind, I've been glad to have had the blessing of living with "just enough" my whole life. Comfort, travel, and libraries of books have given me everything I've ever dreamed of. To have been able to see God provide these things for us is astounding. Really. I have been blessed, and I am very grateful.

Forgiveness. God has been so good to me, how can I not forgive the hurts that I have suffered? Yes, I've been deeply hurt, more than a few times. I don't forget those hurts, but I've been able to forgive. I've been softened and made sweeter by that very forgiveness, as bitterness has not gained a foothold in my life. How wasteful to live life harboring a grudge.  God has taught me to forgive.

Standards. Too often we melt to the current trend. We give an inch, then allow a mile. I am always amazed at how the Puritans are ridiculed and criticized for holding to deeply held beliefs. Perhaps they had unrealistic expectations for people other than themselves, but their own convictions should never have been mocked. Convictions are between the Lord and the believer. I admire anyone who sets high standards and strives to keep them. They are the anti-bacterial, germ fighting agent-----salt-----in society. Believe me, I've always tried to be salt, to the mockery even of acquaintances.

But salt is good. Light is too.

Evangelism has been a primary goal of my life. I realize that actions speak louder than words, but I try to share Christ and the good news message of salvation any time I can. I think that has been right. I want to be light in this dark world, however possible.

I give God glory for all the good. I thank Him for the incredible sweetness of dear friends, and I thank Him for gifting me with five extraordinary children to raise.

My greatest concern was that they know Christ as Lord.

One night shortly after my oldest son was born, I was awake for a middle-of-the-night feeding. As I held that darling infant I was filled with an unspeakable dread. What if he never would know the Savior? I cried out to the Holy Spirit, asking for assurance of some kind, groans too deep to word.

A quiet thought came into my mind.  "He's mine. He's mine."

Total comfort came. That still small voice of God gave me a promise. I've claimed it for every one of my children, remembering it, and thanking God for His precious word to me. They are His. They were never mine!

They belong to God, and I am glad.

That is so right.






No comments: