"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Snakes Alive!

Something interesting to me happened yesterday.

I went to the Andover YMCA to swim. Next to the pool was a huge fiberglass snake. I'd say it was 20 feet long, about 2 feet thick, colorful, head raised, as if creeping.

 

Disturbing to me.

I heard it is for the "Kids Time" play place, the place parents put their children while they work out. Toddlers and babies and such.

I'm curious to know why they chose a snake for that area. It seems to be a play item, but exactly what does one do on a 20 foot fiberglass snake? Ride it?

Where are the rocking horses of yesteryear?

I couldn't help but wonder if the Kundalini spirit that resides at the base of the spine of all who do Yoga rose up and declared its presence.

Snakes are universally loathed by humans. (That's Biblical, too)

All religions except one revere them, worship them, honor them. The one that doesn't is Christianity.

In Christianity the snake is particularly loathsome. The serpent is representative of Satan, Asmodeus, lust, the dragon. It's not a nice thing. It's evil and deceitful. It is a picture of the opposite side of God's love.

But they are fascinating, and, apparently at one time, strikingly beautiful.

I really don't mind snakes outside, doing what they were created to do, cleaning up vermin and such. They fill a niche in the food chain.

But to put a huge fiberglass icon in the kid's play area just doesn't add up for me.

I wonder if I could pull the "I'm offended" card at the front desk, pointing out that I am a Christian and snakes represent the devil to me. What would they say?

Oh, Oh!! We're sorry!! We won't install it because it is offensive to you.....????

I think not.

I'm glad my youngest is too old to go to Kid's Time anymore.

Creepy.

  Kids Stuff

No comments: