"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Sunday, January 4, 2015

musings

The holidays are over, the new year begun, and I have quite a week ahead.

Ed is in the kitchen making bread right now. Last week it was onion bagels, the week before--"artisan bread." That was really good---chewy, fresh, soft. Do you know how German rolls have this little dough ball in the center? Ed's had that. He told me his New Year's resolution was to make bread every week this year.

Yes, we are spoiled.

Margaret and Cherie are off on a weekend adventure. They went to see our friends in South Dakota. It's very cold here right now. Below zero. I hope that the car they took functions well across the prairies between there and here tomorrow.

Tomorrow: Ed has a spinal tap and then a four hour long chemo infusion. Then I get to do my most favorite thing---not----chemo at HOME for the next three days, suited up and bio-hazard savvy. Ed will have his port accessed for the whole week.

No swimming. New Year's exercise resolutions will have to wait.

The good news is, that it is only two weeks of this, not four as before. We are at the end of the intense period of treatment. April is coming. We begin "maintenance" in April. That will seem easier than what we've been through the past 7 months.

A Christian book store in my neighborhood closed for good yesterday. My husband and I (being the bibliophiles that we are) got bargains at 50% off.

I got two new Bibles: one is a large print KJV, hot pink, for my aging eyesight. The other is an English Standard Version, journal Bible. There is room at the edge for journal notes.

At the back of the Bible is a one-year reading plan, and I've begun it, staying on track so far. I hope I can encourage each of you readers to begin a one-year reading plan this year! There are only two things that have eternal value in our lives right now---the Word of God, and people's souls. It's wonderful to be thinking on the promises of God even now, while we face some of the most exciting times in history.

Yes. I'm convinced we are seeing Revelation's prophecies coming to fruition. What special days we live in!

Do you know that those persecuted for righteousness sake, martyred for standing true in faith, have a special place in heaven beholding the throne of God? I find that comforting as I read the news of terrible things happening in the world.

Eternal matters, indeed.

Having a regular reading plan in the Word is an invitation to communicating with God in ways you never before imagined. I am always dumbfounded in seeing His promises, His ideas, thoughts, and LOVE shining through a particular verse or passage, as if He converses WITH ME daily! This doesn't happen with a sporadic reading habit. It only ever happens when you are consistent with your reading. His voice speaks loud and clear. Try it! You'll see exactly what I mean!

But back to the here and now: Life at Corgi Hollows continues through the cold dark months of winter. We have our reading lists, our music, our quiet times to re-charge. The pets are content to find a warm rug or blanket to curl up and snooze on. So are we. Health issues happen. It's that time of year when our bodies are depleted of vitamin D and we fight the influenza and viruses. The dark nights sometimes give way to cloudy days of gray. The sun is shining at the moment, but snow is coming. Ice and wind whistle around the sides of the house during the night.

How do we get through this time of year?

We look up. We trust Him for each day, each moment. We give each problem to Him. We see that He interacts with each of us, teaching us, encouraging us, loving us. A sunbeam comes at just the right minute, filling our spirits with a sense of His presence.

That's all He asks, that we look to Him for everything, trusting His plan.

So I will.

Thank you in advance for praying for this upcoming week. Pray I don't spill the chemicals, that I administer it with the right timing, the right pressure. That everything goes as it should. And it will. This I know.

And remember to stop by for tea. The special times we've had with some of you over the holidays were memorable and sweet. Thank you for your generosity! We feel blessed by your sweet friendship and love.

Oh, and Jim and his wife are celebrating their ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY today! So happy for them, down there in Oklahoma! We miss them, but we are glad they have had such a good year.

On another subject, Google+ has been such an encouragement to me spiritually. It isn't formatted like Facebook, as you can link up with people who have similar interests and affiliations far more easily. I've been able to connect with a few other like-minded individuals on Facebook, but Google+ is a great tool for that. Facebook has its place, keeping friends and family connected, but Google+ has a way of boosting the camaraderie to a whole new level. I post articles and things on Google+ all the time. I may not post them here, and I try to keep my politics on a civil level on Facebook. Google+ gives the sense of community regarding ideas and interests like no other social media. Let me recommend it to you.

My page: https://plus.google.com/102504712170067506418/posts (Corgi Hollows)

See you there.

No comments: