"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, April 24, 2015

Farewell to the School Room

It isn't that we are quitting home-schooling, it is that we are finding a new purpose in our home life.

For sixteen years this little house in the northern suburbs of the Twin Cities has been a cabin, classroom, and workplace. Nostalgic today.

I have decorated with classic paintings and prints, lined the walls with bookshelves and musical instruments, hoarded tables for work stations and put in a Scandinavian touch of decor here and there. My love of tea parties and flowers is evident.

I've made nooks for beds and carved out storage space for linens and candles, games, puzzles, art supplies, and books, books, books!

Outside are our beekeeping supplies, bikes, skis, and tools for fixing cars. All the things we love to do when we have the time. Canoes and a sailboat, camping equipment, and various other sports-related items----things that have attracted us, and sometimes almost owned us---and enough for all of our family to use at once!

We're downsizing.

All week I've been steadily winnowing away at the generous amount of stuff we've collected. I mentioned reading inspirational books on gaining control of chaos---and it's helping.

More, though, it helps to see a change of lifestyle, a change of purpose. Next year Ed will start PSEO (college courses), and Cherie will be the only one left to home school.

I just don't need all the stuff for home-schooling that I once did. I need things for entertaining now, as I anticipate having lots and lots of friends and family coming over to visit and stay at the new place.

How bittersweet to cull books from the shelves and craft supplies from the cupboards. There is a sadness to saying goodbye to an era in a family. It isn't easy.

So please pray for me as I seek to simplify, to downsize, to purge. My selfish instincts are at their worst, and I admit my sinful nature battles with my more generous side! I must conquer that sinful nature! Christ has, but it still shows itself.

How nice to purge the sin....if only. In Heaven alone.

I look out at the familiar views I've enjoyed all these years. I have more beautiful ones to anticipate, but I think about not having these anymore. I think of the lilac bushes I planted 16 years ago. The cherry trees that we planted only four years ago, now--just beginning to bear fruit. The blueberries, the peonies, the perennials. We planted several oak trees. One is about 20 feet tall now, still in its youth.

My favorite tree, the stately white pine, which stands at the front door, I will miss too. My little pond that reflected the sky was such a haven for wildlife and my goldfish. Our fire pit which beckoned to our friends and neighbors on weekend nights----always a marshmallow roast for a passing friend!

There will be new memories made at the new house, but allow me my day to revisit the good times here.

We grow, change, leave.

I know that friendships remain forever, and that is hugely comforting to me.

Corgi Hollows is moving, and the black lab, the two cats, and the Corgi, of course, are heading west to the country. The essence of our lives is unchanged, just the surrounding and direction. It is an abrupt difference at a juncture in life----nestlings leaving, and a new home.

Really, it is a gift, and a good thing.

A lovely cabinish house on one acre of God's earth, energy efficient, space for a large family or a couple, wooded lot, excellent neighbors, close to shopping, a community college, eateries, a lake, parks, and the train station, well-built, with hot water heat and a top notch furnace, dry foundation and many amenities, full of happy memories---FOR SALE!

---contact the Owner :)

2 comments:

Diane J said...

Love your writing, Connie. Almost makes me want to buy your place. I could here your kids laughing and learning through the years. Love all those memories.

Corgi Hollows said...

Thank you, Diane.