"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, April 15, 2016

Robins, Frogs, and Signs of Spring

For two days now the frogs have been singing from the swamps surrounding our house. We are serenaded all day.

Robins are everywhere. It's been unusually warm, with the temps in the 80's.

I want to move the giant aloe plants out of my bedroom and into the sun, but do I dare?

The weather can be fickle this time of year, and I don't want to risk a total freeze. It sure feels like summer.

I am feeling sort of cheated. Those of you who love summer won't understand. I think of March and April as a catch up time, prepping for the summer, exerting thought, but not muscle, righting the inside of the house, cleaning, finishing handwork, baking treats and being cozy.

I've been forced to exert muscle earlier than usual!

Today we did school on the porch. I'm not sure if the porch is officially opened yet, but at least we are out there!

We are reading "The Screwtape Letters" out loud, and I am amazed at each chapter. C.S. Lewis was a master. We are all amused by the clever way he gets truth across.

We are also reading "Twice Pardoned," by Harold D. Morris. My, what a story that is. I recommend. I am chagrined to see that my copy belongs to someone I borrowed it from when we moved from Iowa. I plan to send it back as soon as we finish the last chapter---after 17 years!!!! Ugh.

I think there are copies for $0.01 on Amazon. Postage also, of course. I need to get a few and send them to people I know would love this amazing story.

(If I borrowed a copy of something from you, and you haven't seen it, PLEASE let me know! I've been organizing our books over the last few weeks, and I come across all sorts of wonderful stories! You might have lent one to me...)

I'm getting my little lending/giving library ready. It's fun to see it come together.

This yard is going to require much more work than the old one. Living in the country is like that.

The bees seem happy. We have five hives this year that appear healthy. Margaret is trying to devote some time to them. Weekends are the only time my husband has to care for them. Beekeeping can be intense at certain times of year, but mostly a check each week is all that is needed.

Have you noticed the hazy skies? I sometimes wonder if we'll ever see the days on end of blue I remember from my childhood.

Living in the same place that I grew up has its idiosyncrasies. I can remember things better.

Last weekend, with our friends, we walked by a spot where I remember a fox den. When I was little it was situated on a south facing slope on the edge of the hay field, just a few feet from a fence. It was marked by a small bush.

Now that bush is a tree, and the old fence still there. I didn't see anything in the overgrowth, but Blackberry, who was walking with us, immediately "pointed" toward that very spot!

I suppose there is still activity there.

Predicate, our shy house cat, has ventured outside to breathe the fresh air. Kiwi, the black mouser, begs to patrol the foundation of the house every morning.

I wonder how safe they are with foxes and other predators around.

Yesterday Ed and I saw a remarkable sight on the way to his math class at the community college---two bald eagles and a crow cavorting on the ground in a hay field next to the road!

Unusual.

Life is returning. I hear the trill of the red-winged blackbird, the chickadee, and the nuthatch. Woodpeckers and flickers are hard at work. It's still too chilly to have the window cracked open at night, but I heard an owl the other night.

Our phoebe birds keep returning to the spot where their nest was last year. We had to remove it because the mud from it was impinging on the door beneath it. I wondered what sort of insect colony had called it home as well!

I felt bad ruining their work, but I know they are capable birds, and could build there again if so inclined.

Misty, the Corgi, likes to sit at the end of the sidewalk and sniff the breeze. She is queen of her domain.

I baked Swedish limpa this morning. This week we found some old recipes from my husband's childhood---banana cake with penuche frosting, tuna casserole---and we are fixing them.

Our spirits need a little uplift. Life isn't always easy, and sometimes old tastes and smells can truly be comforting. It's been a rough few weeks at Corgi Hollows.

I can't give the details, (some stories are not just mine) but I can ask for your prayers.

Again, when the going gets tough, I count my blessings! And the blessings outnumber the woes by leaps and bounds.

God is good. All the time.


My old computer continues to be problematic, so my writing has suffered. Add all the spring work and cleaning to that and I've found little time to fix the issues!

Thank you for taking the time to stop in once in awhile and catch up with us.

Ed is doing well. His knees continue to deteriorate, but we're thankful that there is a "fix" for that. He still tries to get along without his crutches.

Cherie runs everyday, almost, for track. Her first official meet is next week. I'm excited for her.

Margaret works hard. We've had the privilege of meeting several of her friends this spring. They've come out from the city for walks and talks in the country with us. Cookies and tea, too. And pizza.

Our choir is beginning a three weekend "run" of concerts tomorrow. Email me for details!

I put banana date nut bread in the oven a half hour ago, so I have to check it. The recipe was from a woman who shared my birthday (along with my dad and another lady!) We celebrated almost every year together!

She passed away from breast cancer 30 years ago. She was a very sweet woman, and I still think of her.

She's in heaven!

Perhaps we'll all be there soon. I'm reading a book about Martin Luther. It's called "Our Neighbor, Martin Luther---the Schoenberg-Cotta Chronicles"

It's very entertaining and very deep. I have to read it slowly, which bugs me. There is so much history in the story line.

Martin Luther was convinced that the end was at hand in 1530. I know exactly what he feels.

Perhaps there is much more life on earth ahead (not just seven years of tribulation). I do think that we are awaiting the last days, and I'm in good company with the likes of Martin Luther.

People scoff at those who watch. I read in the Bible that those who watch have a blessing.

I just add that to my list.

Jesus is coming soon. Maranatha! 
 







2 comments:

Diane J. said...

Happy spring, Con. Love reading your updates.

Corgi Hollows said...

Thanks Diane! Thanks for taking the time!