"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, August 18, 2016

It's About Sin

Sorry, my faithful readers. I've been distracted from my writing lately.

Dear children have been visiting, recovery from travels, and preparing for the upcoming school season have taken my time.

I've been mulling over this subject of sin, too.

The past three weeks the Pokemon craze has gripped our area. Creepy. Discussion on Facebook and generally has revealed deep seated beliefs about the game that are worth defining for me.

It boils down to the verse from 1Corinthians, chapter 10.

Verse 23: "All things are lawful for me, but not all things edify."

But we all agree that some things are simply sin. Paul agrees. Read Romans 1.

Here are the main violations, (but not all):

Ignoring God
Blasphemy
Ignoring People (Not loving your "neighbor")
Idolatry
Not Honoring the Seventh Day
Not Honoring your Parents
Murder
Adultery (all forms of sex outside of M/F monogamous marriage)
Theft
Lying
Coveting
Pride
Anger
Lust
Sloth
Greed
Envy
Gluttony
Drunkenness 
Rebellion
Witchcraft
Occult/New Age/the system of the Beast

Am I right? If you have issues with this list, I'd point you to the Word of God. I included the "Seven Deadlies" in there because they are the sins of the mind which seed the others.

Now, let's list some of the things of this age that many Christians believe are "lawful."

Addictive Substances
Cards
Harry Potter
Lord of the Rings
Narnia
Pokemon
Yoga
Contemplative Prayer
Meditation
Modesty (Define)
Dating
Movies----ratings (!)
Computer Games
Nintendo
Art
Technology
Television
Horror
Obesity
Music
Feminism
Pharmaceuticals/Chemotherapy
Essential Oils
Reiki
Holistic Medicine

I stepped on some toes there, didn't I?

As a believer I have had to analyze EACH one of these subjects in light of my faith. I think every believer should!

You probably have a longer list? Things I forgot?

Are these lawful? Are these innocuous? Are these God-honoring?

I've navigated my way through these things with fear and trepidation, dabbling in some, promoting some, partaking in some. All things are lawful, right?

But as I've experienced these "gray areas" I've discovered something. Not all of these things are beneficial.

Are they neutral?

I don't think they are.

Underlying my faith is the knowledge that Lucifer/Satan is the god of this world, and he is out to destroy. He has power. He has a legion of supernatural beings at his command. The earth is not neutral territory. It belongs to him right now.

Remember how he offered Jesus part of it? He has authority over this beautiful place that God made.

Remember that we are in this world, but as believers, not of it.

I would contend that most of the things listed above are of this world. They are NOT neutral. They are tools of the evil one to ensnare humankind.

Instead of arguing for or against any of these things I would challenge all of us to self examination.

Dear friends, time is short. The devil is manifesting everywhere. We need to focus on Christ Jesus, and Him alone.

It's like that counterfeit money illustration that keeps popping up. In order to know counterfeit money the pros become intimately acquainted with REAL money.

Get into the Word. Meditate on the WORD. Live godly lives----balanced, clean.

We've been reading the little book by Richard Taylor http://self-help-ebook.net/20528-the-disciplined-life-the-mark-of-christian.html this summer. I think it is powerful. Helpful.

When you are living godly lives and you are filled with the Spirit you will have no questions about the above-mentioned issues of this age.

You will know, and the truth will set you free.

So discover for yourself what God thinks about these things. You will. I'm confident. Test the spirits, rebuke the demons, and let the Holy Spirit speak to your conscience.

Don't shut it off. It's so easy to ignore, suppress your God-given conscience. Don't do it.

Live a life of spiritual power. Discipline. Freedom.

We don't have much time left. The Banquet is being prepared above. Jesus is coming for His own Bride, those with oil, the Holy Spirit, believers. You don't want to miss that "Midnight Cry."

Get in the Word today!

No comments: