"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, August 27, 2018

Catching Up on the News

I've written this before: When there is a period of silence on this blog there is intense activity at Corgi Hollows.


We're wrapping up the summer.

Today Ed started classes. Tomorrow Margaret starts.

She's home from another epic journey. She took her $900 Suburu out to Seattle, up to Banff, back to Seattle, then home over mountains and plains, five thousand miles. She climbed and hiked and lost her heart to the Pacific Northwest.

Good-bye Margaret-----

Her wheels are turning toward a more permanent situation out there.

 I totally get this, but I will be SO sad to see her go.

This morning her friend (actually she's like my daughter) stopped by after dropping her brother off at the airport. He's heading to Harvard to get college educated. I'm thrilled for him. He's been in the Army for several years, special forces. He's been fighting forest fires out west all summer. Won't Harvard just love him?! I laugh every time I think about it. He's brilliant, and a force to be reckoned with. Harvard is going to be shaken.


Cherie is smack in the middle of Cross Country. Her practices are four times a week, with intermittent runs at home. I try to bike with her on those.

I've found another lake near her Cross Country meeting places. I can swim there while she runs. It's been a good summer for me to get fit.

Corwyn needs a lot of exercise too, so we take hikes in the "back forty" or up the road daily.

Last Friday I was working at the Deli (School starts next week for me) when my manager came in and said that the store was officially closing on October 1. 2018.

There goes my local deli job. Welcome back WEEKENDS!

This is a sad moment for our community. We will all grieve the loss of the family-owned grocery store and its 50 year history; the bakery, the meat counter, the deli, the convenience. The talk on the street is that it is turning into a brewery.

Between you and me this is a travesty.  Oh, well. Something to pray against.






I saw this t-shirt at the State Fair last week. My husband, daughter-in-law, and I enjoyed the whole day there on the first day of the fair. I need one of these shirts, but I didn't get back to pick it up before we boarded the shuttle for the parking lot.

IF you see it at the fair, pick it up for me----I'll reimburse you!

I can't imagine a more fitting shirt for Minnesotans to wear! It's delightfully funny and so, so true.

We have had guests all weekend, and the conversation turned toward the way we Minnesotans say certain things.

For example, at the coffee place where Margaret works she'll say something like, "Could you think about cleaning up that area-----"

Someone from Minnesota would immediately recognize the command---"Clean that up!"

Someone from somewhere else may think she was making a nice suggestion.

Welcome to Minnesota. :)

The fair was wonderful. I've never seen so many people there, especially on a Thursday! We meandered around, picked up "My Pillows" and subsequently got asked (by total strangers) multiple times "Where did you get those "My Pillows"" for the rest of the day. It became rather funny!

We saw just about everything. I think. My daughter-in-law says we walked 15,000 steps according to her phone app.

I ran into my BFF and her family---totally by chance. I saw another friend that I grew up with and finally reconnected with after 30 years this past summer! Amazing to see these folks you know among tens of thousands of people.

Oh, the Minnesota State Fair? You really have to go to it to believe it. I'm serious. It's about the most amazingly fun gathering on earth, and I am just telling the truth.

You wouldn't believe the number of people that structure their entire year's vacation and travel time around the Minnesota State Fair. I know this.

It's just fun. Really fun.

We had the tried and true things to eat---Pronto pups, Moo Booth shakes, Cheese Curds from the Food Building. Fresh squeezed lemonade. We tried something new; Shaved Ice. I recommend. Delicious.

We got afternoon coffee at the Salem Lutheran place by the technology building, Swedish Egg coffee, very reviving.

Besides "My Pillows" we got a few T-shirts at Crossroads Chapel, lipstick at L'Paige in the grandstand, and batteries at Northern Tool. We admired ALL of the handwork in the creative arts building and we looked at the Fine Art too.

I always love the International Bazaar, but we just looked. There was a young accordionist playing Russian folk songs there. We always check out the agriculture stuff, and of course the honey!

At the end of the day we had tired feet and happy memories. A perfect fair day!

-------------------

Ed got a stellar report at Mayo Clinic. The sutures from his knee replacement had irritated the tissue under the skin, so that had caused the healing to slow. Things really did look good, and with good blood counts and increased physical therapy he has literally turned the corner on healing and progress!

PRAISE GOD! Thank you all for praying! God is so good.

Last night another boy named Jeremiah Thomas passed away from bone cancer in Texas. He was only 16. What a shining light for Christ! His testimony was so sweet and loving. He used his "make a wish" wish to help stop abortion. He was so pro-life, yet he faced his own death with incredible sweetness.

I look at "Ed" and I couldn't help be hugely grateful for all God has done in his life. Cancer was healed, other things are under control for now. Really, we live only each day. We must look at what is good for each day.

Yes, we make plans. We have to. But ultimately we are responsible for this moment, this minute, this action.

We truly live minute by minute!

I am grateful for everything THIS MINUTE, and I hope that I can always be in an attitude of gratefulness every minute, no matter what.

So on we go, school is launching---projects are wrapping up! Folks are coming to visit next weekend and things are humming along.

Life is truly good.

Thank you, LORD!

No comments: