"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, September 4, 2018

A Gift of a Day

We had planned to go camping. It's Labor Day weekend, and Fort Ridgely beckoned. I haven't camped since Ed was diagnosed with leukemia four years ago.

But storms were forecast, and we just didn't have the gumption to set up a tent in pouring rain.


Instead we drove to Fort Ridgely, had a picnic with my in-laws, hiked with Corwyn up and down the steep valley of the Minnesota river and got back in the truck the minute the deluge began!

We drove home in rain, and went to bed early.

I had my first substitute call while I was away, and since I couldn't respond I missed the job. Today is the first day of school. I don't have any real regret, as I needed a day at home.

There are so many things happening----Cross Country, the deli closing, projects, cleaning, pets to care for, people to help, schedules to manage! SCHOOL!

I have a friend who is going through a terrible trial right now. Please pray for her.

Hummingbirds are being driven away from their feeders by honeybees. I couldn't believe all the Monarch butterflies I saw at Fort Ridgely. It was impressive. Honeybees, too. They were all feasting on Goldenrod.

I expect the hummers and butterflies to depart soon. There is nothing so amazing as the migration of creatures in the animal world. It is always so astoundingly complex and next to impossible!

Psalm 50:11 I know all the fowls of the mountains: and the wild beasts of the field are mine.

That verse comforts me. The NIV says insects, not wild beasts. They are included, for sure.

God takes care of His animal kind.


Mankind is the reason for the terrible mass death among different species all over the earth---ocean life, birds, insects! Sin affected the animal kingdom as surely as it affected humans. I am so thankful that God will redeem the earth and its animal kind as well as those of us who love and serve Him! The promise is there, in Scripture. I don't curl up and weep when I see the devastation. I hate it, but I know there is hope.


We are called to be stewards and we obey God in all His goodness. But we are realists, knowing that the earth is suffering from sin.


Today I need to steward my time. Laundry, organizing, and maybe a bike ride or swim later on.


Family is visiting from the east coast, so I want to be free for fun and games too! 



A day is a gift. I think we substitute teachers get this on a whole different level!



And so the school year begins...


No comments: