"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, September 21, 2018

The Last Shift

Tonight is my last shift working at the Deli at the local grocery store. The store closes for good on October 1, but the deli is closing tonight.

I have so many thoughts about this small milestone.

I came out of housewifery two years ago. My son had a chronic illness, cancer, and the medical costs were eating our savings. That, and a move to a more pricey home---from one completely paid off. We had wonderful health insurance, but cancer is expensive. You try different health foods, you pay for the gas for multiple trips downtown (parking was covered by a generous donor at the clinic----you know those big fundraisers hospitals put on?) Still, there were sometimes parking costs. We bought a car that was easier to fit into downtown parking...

We graduated from the full sized van.

We could not have done cancer without our close family and friends. They were our lifeline to sanity and ease financially.

We're through with those expensive days now, we hope. The hotels at the Mayo Clinic, the meals eaten out those nights with no time to prepare something at home...

One friend gave us a gift card to the Holiday Gas Stations. That was so thoughtful! We usually buy our gas at Costco, (cheaper) but it was fun to stop for coffee on occasion.

Gifts of $20, $50, even $500 and $1,000 were breathing room for us.

So much is not covered by insurance. You know that. I am SO thankful for generous friends.

So hi-ho, hi-ho, it was back to work I went.

The Deli was a place nearby, with much local color. It was a great job for an introvert like me! I worked alone in the big old kitchen, oven frying chicken, making salads, waiting on customers. I had time to think and plan, breathe, grieve, dream.

The store is a place I've known my whole life. Every single customer tells me how sad they are to see the store close. The little town it is in sorely needs a grocery store!

Margaret worked there too, sometimes we helped with covering each other's shifts. She is a coffee maven, working also at Caribou Coffee, a Minnesota coffee shop, so her experience in the food industry far out-measures mine. She started at the Deli after her return from France. A few weeks ago we had a conversation about crabby customers.

We get them from time to time, people who believe you are not worthy of their glorious condescension. It may be a snobby business man or woman wearing the expensive polo shirt or designer heels. It might be a life-hardened face sick of dealing with anyone or anything. You can spot them right away, and you sink into subservient mode. Don't think the people who serve you don't read you like a book! We do.

Your manners and your demeanor really do communicate.

I'm glad I've had this experience. I've learned so much, and I've learned to be kinder. I've learned to be careful about people. I've learned that a red-faced messy old guy who probably drinks way too much needs a kind word and his eyes light up with a little joke or pun.

I've learned that kindness matters.

I knew it before, but I've seen it demonstrated now. There was so much opportunity to SERVE.

I won't miss my weekends being tied up. Subbing will hopefully fund all the things we still need to manage.

I'm studying for the GRE now. I hope to take it in December. When Greek Class is done with its first session.

BACK TO SCHOOL again, and it's okay. I've learned some life lessons and I've gained a ton of confidence with my own cooking skills!

I can make an incredible potato salad, folks...


No comments: