"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Why I am a Conservative

Go ahead and laugh with me on this one.  I've had this entry brewing for a few weeks in my head, and today is the day to draw up a cursory credo. 
I've been driven to it by seeing friends and loved ones disillusioned by liberal thinking, decrying conservative values, bad-mouthing my core values.  It's annoying.
Actually it is a lack of understanding.  So here it goes, for me.
(Clarence Thomas has a really good book that covers this in depth!)
Being a Conservative involves:
Supporting free trade and enterprise
Rewarding hard work
Caring for the weak and helpless
Allowing free thought
Being able to acknowledge universal moral values
Understanding evil, fighting it
Revering human life
Appreciating Creation
Emphasizing personal responsibility
Limiting secular government's authority

Okay, so some of these things tend toward my faith beliefs.  Somehow it does blend together! 
I like the slogan, "Don't tread on Me."  I like the freedom it implies.
One of my favorite things is to read biographies and life stories of the human spirit surviving oppressive authority.  Take the life story if Sadhu Sundar Singh, for example.  (Just get a copy, and read it!  Be inspired!)  Perhaps I am a little rebellious!  However, when one is in submission to God, Jehovah, the power of any earthly authority pales in comparison. 
This brings us to spiritual submission.  Conservative values work best when the spirit is in submission to the Ultimate Authority.
That is why I am a conservative.

No comments: