"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Continuing History

Today one of my older sons asked for a clarification and retelling of the story of how his parents met, and since I'd already planned to write some, and then some more, this week, I took a break from my painting for the acrylic to dry, and I'll try to give another chapter, if not conclude this life story. The previous chapter is here.
I left you at the conclusion of my time in Ingolstadt, and now I had a new assignment. I was off to Wiesbaden to take care of six children from 3 different families while the parents attended language school. This job was each weekday morning and some afternoons. On most afternoons I was learning Turkish and working in an office as a packager.
Before I left Ingolstadt, my best friend flew over with Eurail passes from my dad, so we could take a European Odyssey of our own making, a vacation before my work started.
We headed to Scandinavia first; Denmark, Stockholm, Oslo. Trondheim is where her ancestors and mine came from, so we decided to head there. So glad we did! I loved Trondheim! After living in Germany I had the strangest feeling of finally coming home! I couldn't speak any Norwegian, but I knew exactly what was happening! Odd. I bought yarn and several Norwegian knitting patterns and commenced to knit a complicated Norwegian sweater for my dad, who had given us those wonderful passes. I know he still has it, and wears it on cold winter days! After several days of experiencing September light in that part of the world (it is remarkable) we headed back south.
We had a wonderful pause in Ingolstadt, Erlangen, and Munich where my friend saw her entertaining brother who was also stationed in Germany. Together we three visited the Alte Pinakotek in Munich. While enjoying the beautiful artwork I became aware of a German movie star who was also there that afternoon.
My friend's brother boldly approached him and asked him (in English) if he knew where the Rembrandts were! Then he proceeded to compliment him on his "recent work!" (a mini-series about a Russian tsar). I was introduced, and we together asked him for an autograph for my co-worker, Lyn, whose birthday was soon coming. "With all my Love," he wrote!  What a memory! I still chuckle at the audacity of my friend's brother.
After that we visited Austria and Switzerland. We saw the famous Stallions of Lipizza. Such special times we had! Too soon my friend had to leave for home. I took the train back to Austria, to a far corner of it, to visit another very good friend who was serving at a mission there. Jay and I had been friends our entire lives. He was like a brother to me, and we grew up in the same church and school, with the same groups of friends and shared goals. I was so glad to see his mission there. My vacation was over. I was headed for Wiesbaden.
When we were on the search for a place to live in Wiesbaden we were offered an Audi Quattro test car to drive from Ingolstadt to Wiesbaden. I am NOT kidding. (One of our church members worked at Audi) There was a brand new autobahn south of Mainz, and my pastor offered to let me drive a leg, so I took it up to 100 mph, but then I backed off and let him breathe. I'd had my little fun on the famous German highways! Do you know what happens when you go that fast? Light poles start to get distorted, bending in like trees. It's exciting!
I lived in a little one-room apartment on the famous Taunusstrasse, a street renowned through-out Europe as an antique store mecca.
Every day I walked the street and enjoyed window "shopping." Dusty chandeliers, exquisite furniture, and jewels in tarnished settings were to be seen. I never went into a store. Certainly I wasn't shopping for treasure, but it was there, on that street. Sometimes an old painting or two would be on display. I think I may have seen costly items from many centuries. Wiesbaden is a lively city, with a beautiful setting across from Mainz on the Rhine river. It is situated in a valley, with gentle mountains all around. The hiking in the area was superb.
Living on my own for the first time, and in a foreign country, was exciting. I knew German well enough to fit in better, but I was still the "American."
I attended this church, and got to know the wonderful pastor and his wife. I joined the singles group and since I was no longer needed to help with church every Sunday, I simply became an attender.
What I remember mostly about Wiesbaden was the friendships I forged. Beata was a violin maker. Her work is absolutely gorgeous. Jorg-Uwe and Hanna courted and married during the time I knew them there. Klaus was a musician who became a really good friend. Dora was the sweetest co-worker in my office. She attended church with me too. Gabi and Rita became pals who made me laugh and helped me understand cultural issues gently like no one else. Gabi was my Turkish teacher. Yuksel was an older woman with whom I had dear fellowship. Her story was remarkable. Through these friends I met many fascinating people, most of whom were refugees from the Middle East: Iraq, Iran, Afghanistan. I was so blessed to get to know so many people with unbelievable stories. And I was learning Turkish. Tesekkur Ederim! Cay icioryum. Merhaba!
(My Turkish is still weak, ha-ha)
One of my own American co-workers, Kathy, became a life-long friend, and I feel so blessed to have been able to get to know her there.
Just a few kilometers east of Wiesbaden is Frankfurt. There, on an American military installation, lived a very good friend of mine with her husband. Renee and I went WAY back. Her parents and my aunt and uncle had known each other from missionary days in Africa and other Free Church connections. We had renewed our friendship freshman year at Wheaton.
Despite being pretty close in proximity, we didn't often see each other. I tried to take care of her cats once when she was in Africa for a trip (it didn't go well).
She offered to take me to see her parents (who lived in Brussels) and to see the tulips (in Holland, of course) one May. I gladly accepted.
A few days before we were to leave a certain young man from Iowa called Renee's husband and inquired what they were up to for the weekend. They were friends from Wheaton College, both officers stationed in Germany. When he heard what was planned he offered transportation to Belgium and Holland with his classic big BMW, and who could turn that down?
It was on a Friday in May, the first weekend, as I recall, that he drove up to my apartment with Renee and her husband. I threw in my overnight bag and off we went.
That was the beginning of something BIG (in my life at least!)
The tulips at the Keukenhof were lovely. The Dutch windmills were charming. The company was memorable. It was a really fun weekend, and we decided that the four of us had a great time being together! In June followed a trip up the Rhine to see the Wheaton Men's Glee Club sing at a German church.  In July we visited Mainz and the Gutenberg Bible, Marc Chagall's stained glass windows and the hot spring spas right there in Wiesbaden. In August we drove to Augsburg where this "other officer" was stationed. After that Renee threw up her hands and said "You two are on your own!" Just kidding. She was great friend to be the third party on all these excursions. I do enjoy her so much. There isn't a more down-to-earth gal anywhere!
Thanks to Renee, said officer and I are now happily married twenty + years, with five children.
Oh, it wasn't exactly THAT simple, but the writing was on the wall, and our relationship was launched.
In this time of fun and games, I continued working, and he wrapped things up for his stint in Augsburg. He was headed for Airborne, and another Army course at Fort Sill, Oklahoma. I was unsure of what was going to be my future, and I began to grieve leaving Germany. If I wanted to go back I'd have to enroll in seminary and get my Masters Degree. This seemed a huge step at that time, and I was thinking it was time to be back home for a time. I missed my parents, and I needed to think about what I believed God wanted for me. I was struggling with conflicting ideas about my future. It was a crossroads.
I guess I need to spend another stint of writing on this story after all. That's enough for tonight, for sure! Until next time...

No comments: