"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, July 18, 2011

Perennial Garden

I was outside walking in the dew and humidity this morning, checking on our plants and discovering new buds. We are dog-sitting this week, and this little terrier needs to be leashed and walked early.

We have lived here now in a suburban satellite town to Minneapolis for 12 years! This acre of property was the home site of an original farmstead. This area is notorious for its sandy soil, and jack pine seems to be one of the only things that thrive on it.
When we got here there were 2 garden spots that previous owners had cultivated (brought in black dirt, compost or like) We started right in with enriching the spots and expanding the areas for gardening; flower and vegetable.


I planted several choke cherry trees, five lilac bushes and two spruce trees. They are all still living. I have tried to introduce oak trees into the yard, and so far at least two are doing very well. More recently we planted a crab apple tree and two different types of pie cherry trees.
It is so gratifying to see the growth, the health, and the produce of these trees. The wildlife loves it too.
I planted approximately 12 hardy shrub rose bushes, some are doing well. I've lost at least three.
Around these plantings I have put various lilies, bee balm, echinacea, catmint, golden and red yarrow, sage, oregano, spear and peppermint, daisies, and Russian sage. In the early spring we have crocus, daffodils, primrose and tulips.
All of these plantings come back year after year with little effort on my part, which is delightful.
For annuals this year I stuck with my favorites: marigolds, geraniums, and verbena.

I do not have a "green thumb." My son has a love for planting things and did so to a profit from his generous grandma. He planted tomato seeds and sold her several plants that he nurtured indoors through the early spring months. I planted a radish, tomato, onion, squash and nasturtium plot which did germinate, but doesn't thrive. Too much shade, perhaps. Not enough oversight.

And the bees are missed. Bumblebees abound here in our yard, as we made it bee-friendly! Our bees are doing well where they are, next to the alfalfa field which is again in bloom after the first cutting. I am glad for them.

I will enjoy the beauty of the yard we made for them. It is fun to see which things are blooming fresh on a daily basis. The colors are lovely and we enjoy the little fish pond we dug (also for the bees!) Only four fish this year, and all the old favorites are resting in peace under rose bushes.

We are in the gasps of a heat wave right now, and may resort to turning the switch on the air conditioning unit. !!!
At least our hypothalamus-es have made the adjustment to HEAT by now! Sleeping has been uncomfortable, and that may not be due to just the heat.

Tensions and anxieties about our jobs (mine at Primerica, now too) have entered my dream world. I am studying for my life insurance exam.

Since Primerica is a direct-sell type of corporation all my friends are suspect that I will attempt to sell them life insurance. Remember, I sold Avon for 5 years. (Oh, you don't remember that? Hmmm. I wonder why?)
I am happy to learn this business, and I think it has tremendous potential for anyone who feels beleaguered by financial issues.
Ask ME, I won't ask you.

Since this heat is all over the U.S. I wish you well, and hope you remember it in January when the snow is blizzarding.

Please pray for us. Time is short and we are heartsick at the snail-pace of job landing.

I just saw the list of the Northern Lights Choral fall  music agenda. It is stellar. I sure hope we can sing it, but I have given that up to the Lord. Our director chose a piece that is perhaps my all time favorite Christmas song: O Magnum Mysterium, by Morten Lauridsen. Our spring CD has been released, and I have been blessed over and over by the beautiful songs we sang in April. It is such a joy to sing such fantastic music.

Monday morning at Corgi Hollows. It should be a quieter week here, but by now if you read this regularly you know...it might get exciting.

No comments: