"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, November 18, 2013

Intonations

What a time of music!

Our fall concert, the Northern Lights Chorale, was Saturday, the Two Rivers Chorale gave a Christmas concert yesterday, and we were able to be at Benson Great Hall for the organ's 10 year anniversary concert recently too.

John Tavener passed away, Steven Paulus is waking up from his coma after a stroke, and other great organists and choir composers are passing away more frequently than usual. Is an era coming to an end musically?

It almost inspires me to start composing.

Our concert went extremely well, I felt, with nerves and stress playing an unusual role for me. My favorites were too many this time. Gretchaninov's "Our Father" moved me deeply. I was happy to be playing the flute on "How Can I Keep From Singing" because those words ALWAYS choke me up. I had to concentrate on the music. The spirit of the performance seemed to be really wonderful. Great crowd, too.

Yesterday I was privileged to hear the composer/guitarist Jeffrey Van play and accompany the Two Rivers Chorale with 3 of his own very special and lovely Christmas carols. What a treat!  Dr. Arthur Rouner was in the audience, and it was fun to see him. I remember hearing him preach at Thanksgiving services when I was a child. The concert was sort of a Minnesota composer themed program, Christmas version. I loved it.

The organist for the Mormon Tabernacle played the beautiful organ at Benson ---was that 2 weeks ago now?  That was quite a concert. We were able to sit in the "sweet spot" of the auditorium, center, first row balcony. Feeling privileged.

Margaret plays with the University of Minnesota Maroon Orchestra, and their fall concert, a week ago, was fantastic too! Great selections, well played. I just love the Russian/American conductor, Sergei. He lights up the stage. I am sure he will go far.

Music to come? Our oldest son will be in the Concordia Chapel Choir in the upcoming Concordia Christmas concert at Orchestra Hall in Minneapolis. We hope to drive northward for one of the concerts up there too. I look forward to this every year that he's been at Concordia. This is his senior year! I'll be quietly weeping in the audience.

Margaret's orchestra plays a Christmas concert during her last week of class. It's free, and it's going to be wonderful. If you'd like information on attending email me.

Ed and Cherie are playing Christmas songs.....


And our Christmas tree is UP. We've decorated for Christmas early this year, breaking our personal ban on "things Christmas" before Thanksgiving!

With an upcoming holiday wedding, a week-long trip away, Bridal showers, holiday gatherings, AND all of these marvelous musical events to work in--------we decided to get in the spirit early.

And the Christmas concert yesterday was just perfect for my little world, here at Corgi Hollows.  MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOtpwetBCeQ

No comments: