"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, November 23, 2015

Intense Living at Corgi Hollows

Well, the old house is sold, the keys are in the hands of another. The doors are shut on the past.

I was melancholic last week after we signed away the property. There is such a finality about selling a place you lived in and loved for 16 years. No going back, really.

I don't want to sound ungrateful or unhappy about where we are now, but there is this sense of loss that borders on sorrow about the past and no return.

I do love our new house. We are discovering all the little foibles it has in facing the new season of cold in Minnesota! We have had to tear up the floor in the kitchen due to leaking, and fix dozens of other handy-man type projects. We are going to update the floor in the basement, and install shelves and hardware to make things work right.

Margaret is having the most difficult season of her life. Besides surviving what could have been the most awful of car accidents, she has endured car trouble (the clutch) and late nights of working at the coffee shop. She has her job of life guarding weekly at the YMCA too. Add to that her senior project (a huge paper) and a full credit load at the University-----and she graduates in December!

Let's hope. Let's hope stress doesn't get the best of her. That crash was enough to rattle her nerves for the rest of her driving life----

But she's persevering. She's getting through it all.

My husband and I had our fall concerts with the Northern Lights Chorale. I was asked to play the flute at the end of John Rutter's "Agnus Dei." This was not easy for me, as I hadn't picked up my flute since Ed's Leukemia diagnosis.

That's over a year ago now...

There's something called embouchure (French for "mouth") that can be developed or diminished by practice or lack thereof.

I lack currently.

I tried the solo, and it came off, barely, with much trembling. I would like to get back to practicing more, as I don't want to lose my flute skills. I love the flute, and I've always been fairly confident playing it.

Another loss.

I'll post a YOUTUBE video of this piece if it gets chosen to be publicized. It is a powerful work.

Our season with the chorale was difficult for me. I think I'm finally really weary of all the life changes we've undergone in the past 3 years. Even the things that bring joy have dulled.

It certainly could be weariness, or even normal depression.

I can attest to the power of the Holy Spirit in keeping us on track, going forward, functioning every day, meeting challenges and simply getting up every morning to meet the demands of our lives.

It does take a bit of prodding to face a day that is spent at the clinic getting an infusion of chemotherapy, or a must-do appointment at the YMCA swimming to halt the effects of AVN (Avascular Necrosis) on Ed's knees.

It's Thanksgiving this week, and I do have so much to be thankful for.

I can't help it but look up at the Lord and ask----"Why in the world are we still here??????"

It's depressing.

But He has his purposes. He has his reasons. He is patient, and not willing that any should perish.

There are still a bunch of people on my prayer list that I'm praying for, for their salvation.

I pray they read my pleas for them to turn to Truth and a Biblical knowledge of salvation through and in Yeshua alone.


That's what we're here for, anyway. Life IS short. It's just seemed long lately.

Now that we don't have the other house to take care of we can curl up by our fireplaces and knit, read and be cozy as the nights lengthen into solstice. I guess the Norwegians have perfected the art of winter living, and I need to see it as an advantage.

With my first grandson on the way I have plenty to do with the knitting needles! I have a grand-nephew now, too----and the sweater I'm knitting for him is 3/4's finished. I need long evenings with hot cocoa or tea and a Jane Austen movie. I have projects to finish!

Margaret does too. Please keep her in your prayers.

We had a fun weekend with my husband's parents, delicious meals eaten out, and a spontaneous breakfast for 14 people this morning as our friends passed through on their way home from a trip down south.

Life is certainly interesting. Intense.

Maybe, just maybe, it will quiet down some?

Happy Thanksgiving, friends!




No comments: