"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, December 19, 2016

This Techie World

I listened to an interview with a man who talked about our future form of government---a technocracy, he said. I think there is an article in Time magazine about it currently.

It's sort of alarming, but as I apply for a new job---substitute teacher---with an educational service provider I am taken aback by the technology I'm supposed to be able to navigate through, and I'm woefully technologically illiterate.

It's alarming.

Ed is gently helping me handle some of the devices I'm currently using

A Chrome Book
My moto XXXXXphone
Moto sport watch 33333
my tablet
my old moto x

It's insane.

I get a new device and I have to figure it out even as the old ones blink into obscurity. It's like vacuum cleaners---you have to buy a whole new machine because they quit making the filters your old one used.

If this is technocracy I'M DONE!

What about all the older generation who cannot figure out how to turn the computer on?

I did finish the 100 + page online application and I fell like I should reward myself.

I'm going to pick up my KINDLE and read ----

My home is full of paper and hardback collections of printed leaves----old fashioned books, and I really prefer these infinitely to the stuff on line.

I do like being able to type on a beautiful keyboard again. That is a blessing.

Allow me to rant. I am concerned about the future and what is coming into being. I'm concerned about the developments and how to keep abreast of them. I want to keep up, but I am reaching my limits.

How about the kids? They just naturally keep up, it seems.

Or do they? Are they controlled by the technology already?

I think I want to go and eat a Christmas cookie.


Cherie and I made many kinds of treats this season of holiday preparation:

Chocolate Crinkles
Spritz
Lefse
Butter Cut-outs
Cooky Jar Cut-outs (with orange rind)
Gingerbread Cut-outs
Shortbread (with cornstarch)
Cornflake wreaths (green with cinnamon red-hots)
Peanut Butter blossoms
Chocolate dipped oreos and Ritz peanut butter sandwiches
Peppermint almond bark

Tomorrow my friend is coming over to make Russian/Swedish/Mexican Wedding/Teacakes----you know, the delicious little balls of butter, flour and walnuts or pecans rolled in powdered sugar?
So simple, so tasty. They must be on every Christmas cookie plate.

Yesterday my nieces and their friends were over for dinner and we feasted on these Christmas delicacies. It was fun to be with my nieces. One of my nieces is an artist in Italy, and she is painting a chapel in a castle. It's fascinating.

My own Margaret has left Munich, and our dear friends there, for another German city and other dear friends. She's going to the Wiesbaden/Mainz area now. By all accounts she's winning hearts all around.

Of course my heart is deeply lonesome for her, but I'm incredibly glad she can do this travelling and adventuring at her age. We are all on this life path, and travel is surely one of the most rewarding and expanding experiences any of us can ever hope for.

I may never travel again, and I'm completely alright with that, but on my bucket list still; the Seychelles, and to go back to Israel. Israel is so different now from when I went in 1983. It has bloomed since, and I'd love to see it.

There is something about a turquoise ocean beach that is healing to a Minnesota mind, and I hanker for the sun on my skin and the waves lapping peacefully and warmly at my feet. Perhaps I'll get to see the ocean again someday. I have a wonderful memory of the Aegean Sea and a small resort at Ayvalik, in Turkey. It's a memory that I will enjoy for the rest of my life.

I'm truly happy to be here, though, in my own little world. My Corgi grief is still sharp. I can't quite get past it, but I look at Blackberry and her neediness since Misty's passing, and I love her all the more. The cats are content. They are cats.

Perhaps someday I'll have a Corgi again. I'd love to rescue one. Corgi Hollows is CERTAINLY open for any Corgi that needs rescuing.

It's warmed up today. It was bitter yesterday, so we enjoyed the fire and warm company. Today the sun shines on a 20℉ improvement.

I'm savoring the freedom of a slow day as I realize they are going to be few and far between as I age. But house payments must be made. New homes are like that.

I've been blessed with a life of amazing blessings.

I'm thankful.




No comments: