"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, December 15, 2016

Winter Storm Warning

The sun is casting shiny beams on the pure white snow cover. More snow is coming, and the clear skies right now indicate the bitter cold this day.

It's cold out there!

Ed finished his finals. We go back to swimming today as a celebration----at least it feels like that. Swimming can be a chore, especially on negative temperature days, but the resulting prevention of headaches for me and limber muscles for Ed is worth the pain.

I am still wrangling with the three packages I have to mail. I'm totally incompetent when it comes to administration skills, so having had to go to three post offices and one DHL shipping office with NO PACKAGES THUS FAR SENT is quite the Waterloo for me.

It was either too expensive ($244US), wrong packaging (Needs to be in a priority mail box for cheapest rates), and the line was once too long, waited 1/2 an hour, had to leave.

Next year I hope to get this all done in October. Will I learn my lesson?

I have stacks of stamps and Christmas cards here to address and mail. Will I get it done?

I have a stack of presents I've gleaned over the year to give to my loved ones that need wrapping.  Will a backache ensue?

I'm sounding like a Scrooge. I'm really not, but there are things about the holidays that I have never really learned to do well.

I have excellent intentions, but little result.

Cherie has been helping me with baking. We've done little shortbread cookies, peanut blossoms, gingerbread cutouts, cooky-jar cookies with orange rind, cornflake wreaths (bright green!), and several more kinds are planned.

Swedish meatballs are made and in the freezer. The Swedish potato sausage is purchased. The ham is procured. Potatoes and anchovies for Janssen's Temptation are bought.

Fruits for the fruit soup are on the counter.

Things are coming together.

Ed made a fire this morning in the wood fireplace. It is a joy to have that device to warm that half of the house! It is cozy and smells wonderful.

Must be off.

There's a winter storm headed our way. Maybe I'll spend it doing cards and wrapping presents. Baking.

The joys of a Minnesota storm.

No comments: