"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, May 11, 2017

It's Been Awhile

So much to catch up with here at Corgi Hollows.

I've been consumed with finding a new Corgi to live in this Corgi Utopia with our three fine pets and five loving humans. It hasn't been easy.

I've applied at several rescues, contacted 3 breeders. Now I just have to wait and see what happens.

The other three pets visited the vet and were pronounced wonderfully healthy. We found a new vet in this area. Our old vet, a farm boy from southwestern Minnesota, was over an hour away, and though we did drive there for these past two years it seemed wise to change to a local vet.

This vet hadn't seen our pets before. She exclaimed at how sweet they were! How healthy--both skin and weight, personality and behavior. I was such a proud mom.

They are fun, and we do love them.

Predicate is sitting in the window seat right now surveying the bird activity out front. Topi has found several gopher holes, and he sits by them, waiting patiently. I do hope he will clean up the gopher population here at Corgi Hollows. It's a thriving community, and the gophers do a good bit of damage to the lawn.

Blackberry just sits by the fireplace until her "daddy" comes home from work. Then she stretches and wags her tail. She's always ready for a walk up the road to the corner and back. More? Not so much. She's slowing down.

I have been subbing. And subbing. And subbing.
My favorite thing to sub is 7th and 8th grade. Wow. Bet you'd never believe that! I certainly didn't. I do enjoy those kids, and the day is usually a breeze for me. I'm all over the school district, Kindergarten through 12th grade, but I prefer to accept assignments for Special Ed and Middle School. Such great staff! Sweet kids. Of course I take all the music and art assignments that come my way!

Margaret is installed at the Deli now, so she is taking half of my shift. This is so good. I was doing more time outside the home than I'd ever thought I would. This makes it bearable. Cheri is in the middle of her Track and Field season, so there are meets and practices that she has to get to. It's been a bustling spring.

The leaves on the trees are still in their baby stages. Bright yellow green. The blossoms of cherry and apple trees are bursts of pink and white all over the hills. It's just lovely.

Lilacs are budding. I think that in a week their glory will be full-fledged. Lilacs last too briefly. It is just a phenomenal sight on MN Highway 100, north of I-394. If you can drive that way this upcoming week, do.
I go out of my way this time of year to see the hedges that are now 30+ years old. Thankfully we drive that way to church on Sundays.

The Phoebes have made their new home on a perfect drainpipe in the back of the house. They did that last year, after I removed their cute nest above the porch door. The pipe is a far better location, and the pesky Robins are their immediate neighbors, just 10 feet away, on the outdoor lights. I will have to remove that Robin nest next after the babies leave. I'm not happy about them being there, but I missed the chance to thwart their nest building. They had to start from scratch because I completely removed the old nest. I have to admit it is a prime spot for birds, but they have little appreciation for fire hazards.

Speaking of fire hazards: We were outside last Sunday night having our campfire when we noticed terrible smoke just to the east of us. A house? A barn?

The swamp was on fire! We listened to sirens for about an hour, watched the frightening glow of fire on the underside of the smoke. I heard that the fire fighters monitored the flames all night long. For as much water that we have these days ---the water tables are overflowing---there is still fire risk from dead swamp grasses.

Ed is done with finals (4.0 GPA!) and walking without any device! Two major milestones! He loves his math classes, and he is happy to go to school and meet with friends from there. He's making an effort to nail down a part time job, but we will see how that works. We're all hopeful for him. He's applied at several banks for a teller position.

Margaret is home, processing her time in France, and in Greece. Two very different experiences. She's finding her path back here stateside, and school is in her future.

We've done several improvements here at Corgi Hollows, so we feel ready to have guests again. There's always something going on. Bees arrive in June this year. We are gearing up for that.

I'm finding that my health is starting to suffer from all the working, two colds in two months, headache and back pain, hip pain and general weariness. Guess I'm getting old.

There's no rest for the wicked, and the righteous don't need any.

Have you heard that old quote? I think of it more these days.

The sky was brilliant blue today, and that was a welcome change from the gray spring days we've had. It lifts the spirits just to look up.

I've been singing my Maranatha song every day on the way to work. I drive such a pretty way, by a small lake, up and down hills, by horse farms. I saw swans AND loons on the lake this morning. The horses are show horses, most of them. I drive by the big Shriner's stable in Greenfield. It's amazing what gorgeous horses live in this area! All the pretty horses...

All this beauty, and I still pray that Jesus comes soon. As we anticipate His return I find myself chiding myself about being content. Yes, we have a beautiful life here in America. God has blessed us.

But it doesn't compare to the life to come!

As I hear testimonies about God's work in the world I selfishly want things to hurry up! God is so patient.

I'm not. I'm thinking about all my Corgis in heaven.

:)



No comments: