"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Saturday, May 13, 2017

Mournful

The Oriole is back.

For a week now there has been a piercing call, a single tone, announcing his return. This morning he started to sing his "at home" sign, an avian calling card, so to speak.

Next I will listen for his classic song, the one we all know Orioles sing. It's happier, sweeter, more assured.

I saw him on the grape jelly birdfeeder my mom put out this morning. I've got the windows open and his brief call varies in location, so I know he's making the rounds.

It's really hard to find their nest, distinctive as they can be. A hanging sack, precariously stretching from an old limb. Wonders of nature.

I was struck by the sadness in his tone this morning. Or is it the sadness in my heart that projects those tones into mourning?

So much peace, so much beauty every spring.

But I think of the unrest in the world, in people I know.
I grieve.

I had a impromptu conversation this week at one of the schools.

Another teacher quietly announced to me that she didn't believe in God.

I made a repartee. It was a softball, perfect pitch. I couldn't help myself.

I said, "I do."

"I have a son who is a miracle from God. He's been saved from death three times. He has cancer and he was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder 6 months earlier than his cancer started."
"I believe in miracles, and I couldn't have gotten through these past years without God."

Her face became gradually more shocked; "I bet you do," her kind reply.

Our conversation continued about books and my son's great attitude. It all ended easily. As I walked away I thought about how we appear to this world. Light in the darkness.

Our spirits testify to God's greatness. We are nothing. He is everything. He gets all the glory, as He should.

We humans have such a distorted view of ourselves.

That's why I mourn today. I just feel sad about the lostness of people.

If I feel sad, how does God feel?

The Bible says He loves. The Bible records his responses. Jesus wept. I can't imagine how He feels.

It spurs me to be more light. More reflecting of God's goodness---through the trials, the pain, the heartache.

More trials ahead. Guaranteed.

Be mirrors of His blessed hope.

No comments: