"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Advent! Advent!

I can hear my friend Lynn's voice saying "Advent! Advent!"

She had her memorial service today. She passed away two weeks ago, from cancer. She was my friend, my apartment-mate in Germany, (Hepberg, just outside of Ingolstadt), her dad and my dad grew up together and were life-long friends.

She loved her family, her husband, her Germany, her Lord and Savior. She was a loyal friend, and I'm going to miss her!

We didn't live in the same city in the states, so I hardly ever got to see her here since Germany, but we maintained our friendship via distance.

I couldn't go to the service today. I was teaching. I have too many obligations here these days to travel much. The weather turned nasty this week, and I can't stand driving on very icy roads.

Lynn loved Christmas in Germany! We had a tree, lovely ornaments, and special presents. I'll never forget my Christmases in Germany.

The smells! Oranges, lebkuchen, spices, pine! Apples and chocolates---
The bite of damp winter cold! Candlelight. Crunchy snow. Beautiful carols, Heilige Nacht...

Bright foil packages with special things inside. Tutte (little sacks) full of treats! Germany is a wonderful place to be at this time of year!

I brought a bit of Germany back with me---a few ornaments, an advent wreath. I have good friends that supply us each year with coffee and chocolate from Munich! I sent them some American instant coffee and bite size American candy bars this year. I know there isn't any comparison, but I want them to see how much we appreciate their generous thoughtfulness at remembering our "want" of such European delights!

I'm remembering Lynn and her love of Germany. It goes together with my Advent celebrations every year.

I taught only half a day today, and before I left for school we put up the Christmas tree for decorating. It's a white pine, from Menards---only $18!

It smells so good, better than cut flowers!

Cherie and I are going to get lights on it soon. We decorate less and less each year, but there are some things that never change. Tradition is fun.

I KNOW that Jesus was born in September, probably. I know that Christmas is questionable as a day to celebrate. I've read all about it.

I still think we can honor Christ this time of year by celebrating His birth on earth. I talked about Advent at the jail on Sunday evening. I used it as an opportunity to share the Gospel message. I could tell that half of the women had never heard the Gospel before.

There are many lost folk out there.

Christmas is a perfect opportunity to talk about Christ Jesus. People need to know!

I'm meeting more and more desperate people, both at the jail, and in the schools where I substitute teach. I see the pain, the need. There are tears.

This world isn't easy! So many people suffer daily! To give hope for a future (Jeremiah 29:11) we need to share our faith.

It's amazing how many things fall into line for people who are truly in bad straits when they come to know Jesus! Things may not be greatly improved physically, but attitudes and spirit are transformed!

Jesus is powerful!

We never talk about the decision to follow Jesus resulting in ease, or wealth. We say the opposite! No prosperity gospel preached here!

But there is hope for these dear ones. I don't talk about Jesus at school unless there is some blatant reason to. I do talk about Jesus at the jail. The time I spend there on Sunday evening is considered "church time" for them.

We talk about Jesus.

We talked on Sunday about Advent.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Next Sunday is our Minnetonka Choral Society Christmas concert. I am singing a duet with a young tenor----"Silver Bells."  All of the songs we're singing are really quite fun, and there will be acting of vignettes to accompany the music. Really, it's going to be charming!

I've enjoyed the music this fall, and it definitely put me in a Christmassy mood even before Thanksgiving.


_____________
I want to say a word of apology, sort of. I'm sorry that my posts offend some people. They do, and that isn't my intent. I write about the things on my mind, the developments in society and in the church. I take things to Scripture and search for the Biblical answer!

My questions are met with God's truth, straight out of Scripture. My interpretation may not be particularly merciful, but I'm trying to understand the absolute truth. I don't want to water down a truth from Scripture. I want to be right before God.

If you know me personally, you know that I love you. There isn't a question about that in anyone I have met. The kids at school are all my favorites (even the bad ones!). My church friends, my jail friends, my old friends from other times in my life---my family! Everyone knows my love for them.

I must say what the truth is, though, as God reveals it to me through His word. Refute me when I am wrong! Give me good reason to change my words! I want to be teachable!

I must follow Christ. He loves you, and so do I.

God bless.
_______________

Lynn, enjoy a perfect Christmas this year. The most perfect one ever, even with your high standards!


No comments: