"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Sunday, December 24, 2017

For the Sad Today

It was years ago when I started listening to New Age music and darkened my soul. Since then I have had bouts of blue, not clinical, but definitely affecting.

Christmas time can be difficult for me. I know it can be difficult for many---loss of family, loss of friends. Memories that haunt us of the past.

I can be surrounded by the most wonderful people in the world, and I can still feel a tightness in my heart that seems to have no explanation.

SAD, or seasonal affect disorder, is par for the course for those of us in the dark December northern hemisphere. Certainly this plays a role.

The sun is shining outside, the beautiful music plays on the radio. (Classical MPR is online too, and their Christmas line up is wonderful!)

There's no reason for SAD, but it is there.


Those of you who don't understand depression cannot feel our poignancy.


I've learned to address my thoughts and feelings pragmatically, at least as much as possible.

Physically; exercise, reduced sugar, vitamin C, extra sleep (that means going to bed around 8 PM!)

Spiritually; Daily Bible reading, Praise singing, Prayer, Trust.

Sunshine. Light. Corgis.

Christmas is the time of lights. I've been hard on the thoughts about pagan or heathen influence with Christmas. I know all the background on solstice and Saturnalia. I don't celebrate Satan Clause! Whoops, I mean Santa---

Christmas is a time to read Scripture, sing about Christ's birth (a total miracle) and survive the deep dark winter. BAH HUMBUG!

Lights, Smorgasbord, gifts, decoration, family, church. It's tradition. It's what we need this time of year.

The miracle of Christ with us is to be celebrated each day of the year. Freemasons think Jesus was born on September 11. Some say September 23, some the 26th. Probably He was born in September, as the shepherds were abiding in the fields, and the place where Jesus was born, a sacrificial lamb birthing floor outside of Bethlehem, was clean and empty. Mary treated the baby exactly like a sacrificial lamb, wrapping him in swaddling clothes. Perfect baby lambs were also wrapped in swaddling clothes to protect them from harm or damage before sacrifice.

Isn't God amazing? Such patterns, such exquisite foreknowledge. I can only praise Him!

So, Christmas. Cheer up, friends! Remember your blessings!

To my atheist friends I wish you well, I wish you a Christ experience in your life. In fact I pray that for you. To anyone who hasn't received Christ as LORD and savior I wish you would. I pray for that every day.

This makes me happy, knowing that God has His plan for you.


MERRY CHRISTMAS!


No comments: