"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Saturday, December 16, 2017

Frohe Weihnachten!

It's the final countdown to the ultimate holiday of the year.

I mean that in the sense of "last" for those of you who don't have genius wordsmiths in the family!

I have baked pfeffernusse, Cherie has made gingerbread cut-outs, Margaret has made "Peanut Blossoms," I mixed up Lois's Butter sugar cookie cut-outs, and my grandmother's recipe for "Date-Nut Loaf" is in the oven right now.

It smells lovely and sweet.

My sweet better half has been on mission after mission to procure the ingredients for all of our special recipes that usually denote Christmastime at our home.

My son, who loves Ginger's German Sour Cream Twists, is coming to Minnesota and I'd love to make up a batch. I usually serve those around Easter, but I'm willing to make some now!

I have to bake some Limpa, the Swedish orange rye with fennel and caraway.

I still have those pretty green cornflake wreath cookies with red hots to turn out, plus some chocolate fudge.

I want to make Christmas cookie plates for the neighbors, something I haven't done since I moved here three Christmases ago. I have good intentions.

This past week I had many brushes with Down's Syndrome. I started the week as a paraprofessional (not a teacher) for a two young Down's kids. I had contact with another one, and then I met two teachers with Down's children. I saw some sweet stories online about Down's Syndrome and read about a Down's Syndrome young woman who competed in a Minnesota beauty pageant.

I have such a soft spot in my heart for these people. Corrie Ten Boom wrote a book called "Common Sense Not Needed," and it is available on Kindle. That book is just so sweet and affirming of God's special people on earth.

Of course I was subbing for all sorts of things this week; Science, art, Special Ed. I sub next week, too, all the way up to Christmas! I start out again three days during the week that follows the New Year.
I'm busy.

My work at the deli is sporadic, and Margaret takes most of our shifts these days. It's pretty convenient to have back up for a particular shift! I'm working this afternoon, so come by and buy my delicious chicken! The salads are wonderful, too! I can slice some scrumptious Boar's Head meat for your sandwiches. I'll rearrange the Christmas goodies from the bakery and I'll tell you Merry Christmas. That's what I do.

This time of year everything seems so food related.

I've been musical, too, though.

The Minnetonka Choral Society had their concert last weekend. I sang my duet, Silver Bells, with Justin, the choir providing back up. Our director, Maestro Jere Lantz, gave practically a lecture on all the carols we sang. It was a fun concert! All of the Christmas music we've been practicing all fall has put me in the holiday spirit early and fully!

It's been a very incredible year. I've met SO MANY NEW PEOPLE, and I certainly wasn't even looking for that!

I'm not unsociable, I just have the most wonderful friends in the Universe already.

Since January I started working at the Deli, Substitute teaching, and singing in a new choir. That's quite a few new faces to get to know and learn!

Changes. It's all good.

Ed finished his courses at North Hennepin Community College with high marks in Calculus 3, Japanese Culture, and Communications. Margaret also did well in her pre-nursing classes, even Anatomy. I know, I know, smart kids!! Praise God! Ed really likes his job at the bank. He's a whiz there, too. Margaret will make you your morning coffee most days at the Caribou.

Cherie snuggles and reads and does math by the fire. She literally keeps the home fires burning and enjoys her grandparent's company. We have frequent contact with "the neighbors." This week we had a brief visit with my niece, who needed to go to the airport. Cherie and I spent the day, after dropping her off at the airport, at the Mall of America. We walked around each floor but the fourth. It was quite the work-out! We even bought stuff, which normally I don't do at that mall!

My husband is back to pushing snow off of the driveways, completing various house projects, and keeping up with his job. This house is a gift that keeps on giving----one project after another! Even in the winter months.

Surely you have heard of Hygge these days? It's a Scandinavian word for being cozy and quieting your life in the dark and cold winter months.

I used to practice it regularly. Working outside the home has changed things for me.

It's all good, though. Life isn't dull. Never boring.


Tomorrow there is a sing along Messiah at a Lutheran Church in Roseville. We like this church on Sunday afternoons in winter, concerts with the organ ---- a Casavant with 19 ranks, a tracker organ, fully mechanical. It's one of Ed's favorite organs. Tomorrow it plays with a chamber orchestra, too.

I'd like to go. We'll see.
Enjoy this week!

No comments: