"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, October 2, 2018

Northern Lights

I finished an afghan on Sunday. I've been working on it on and off over the last few months. It's from a kit, named "Northern Lights Afghan."

I saw it in a Herrshner's catalog a few years ago, and since my husband and I were singing in the Northern Lights Chorale I thought it would be fun to do it. I'm weird, but you already know that ;)!

I love the colors of the Rainbow, God's promise to never flood the earth again---and the northern lights have always fascinated me. I saw them dancing in the northern sky those childhood years when light pollution wasn't such a factor here in central Minnesota. The colors of the spectrum make up the northern lights, but here in Minnesota they usually appear green, sometimes reddish.

I did a small cross stitch of them when I was young. I find the northern lights to be compelling art, a wonderful theme for crafts or handwork.

Beautiful colors, dancing in the sky!

Last week I watched a lecture about the age of the earth by Dr. McMurtry. (See below) It's a fascinating documentary. When he got to the most compelling evidence of a young earth, I smiled.

It has to do with the magnetic field of the earth. It's wearing away, you know. Scientists can and have calculated the gradual decay of the earth's magnetic field. The math doesn't add up to an old earth, nor does it give any hope for a lengthy existence from here on out.

Watch it and see for yourself.

The northern lights are, of course, the visual evidence of that all-important magnetic field. When the sun omits its radioactive sunbursts towards this tiny planet our magnetic field of protection lights up with spectacular beauty! It's like a rainbow, a promise that the cold radioactivity of our space won't snuff us out.

For me, my afghan is a visual reminder that God has a beautiful and perfect plan, and that it is all wrapping up VERY SOON.

_______

Our new choir, the Minnetonka Choral Society, is performing Handel's "Messiah" on December 14. Contact me for tickets if you want to attend! The tenor soloist is a spectacular performer from St. Olaf College. It will be good. I don't mind (shamelessly) plugging this concert.

You do know that "The Messiah" is mostly prophetic texts from Scripture, right? Our lives are full of prophecy, and most of us don't even know it.


I photographed the afghan and posted it below, but I must say that my phone camera doesn't do the colors justice! The afghan sort of glows in soft light. It's on the rocking chair in front of the fireplace. Come and sit for spell with me and drink tea...

No comments: