"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, December 2, 2010

The Season of Advent

Three funerals this week.  Two are very sad, one is triumphant.  Death is the great equalizer in this world, anything but in the next.
I think this has been a year of good-byes!  I can't believe how many funerals I've attended, and I don't think it's going to change soon.  I'm getting older, and having had many older friends (and blessed to have had them!) I am getting used to attending them.
There is a character in "Anne of Green Gables" who gets macabre joy out of attending funerals.  She is delightfully strange.  We laugh at her weird fascination with obituaries, and yet there is a kind of acceptance of the inevitable: something I think my culture tends to avoid and play down.
I am comforted this week by the coming of Christmas.  The snow sets the stage so nicely.  My, but we have had snow this year!!  I can't believe how we've had to weather ice and cold several times already and it is just December!  This is a long winter.
I watched "The Star of Bethlehem" DVD the other night to remind myself of the significant celestial events in 3 and 2 B.C.  This is probably the most powerful documentary I've ever seen in showing God's compassionate interest in us and His love, wooing mankind into relationship with Him.  The Word of God is our life-manual.  It's always  exciting to see science, history and current happenings reinforce the message of the Word.
Time is running out, and the celestial poetry is soon to write a new message in the constellations.  The Age of Pisces is coming to a close and the Age of Aquarius is about to begin.  The signs in the heavens speak of the out-pouring of the Holy Spirit and an age of peace and blessing.  God has told us of the signs in the heavens.  We are predicting nothing but what is already completely foretold in Scripture.  Jesus is coming soon, relatively, and we must be ready, as the virgins with the lamps filled with oil, waiting for the bridegroom.  If you have not repented of your sin and chosen to put your trust and faith in God's Son, Jesus, DO IT NOW!  Start living to please the Savior, and love others.  Do everything without complaining and arguing!  Be a bold light of shining Truth to the world.
This is such a busy season I wonder when I'll get a chance to write again.  I wish I could share every blessed minute of the season for me and my family.

No comments: