"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, August 15, 2011

Only Girls

Kiwi, the black cat, is the only male in the house this week. Therefore the art of housecleaning and purging will commence, and by Saturday this house will be spic and span (I hope), because on Saturday we have agreed to host another Chinese student, who will arrive that afternoon.
We have hosted Chinese students as they find apartments down by the U for 10 years now. It has been an enriching experience for our family, and we have forged some wonderful friendships through this program. Only a couple of years we chose not to do this, for various reasons, and we had informed the program organizers that this was one of those years (due to unsure life circumstance and ongoing house projects) but they called us and BEGGED.
I learned something from my friends up north this summer, and here it is: If the house is YOURS, you will be always afraid that it doesn't measure up for having people over to stay. I think all my friends can attest to this about this house (it is always humming with activity and a mess, always in need of cleaning) BUT, if the house you live in is God's, He will direct what happens in it, and if He wants people to come and stay in it, He'll make it quite clear. Now, that is the lesson my friends practice, and I've seen it work for years. God does let His thoughts and direction be known, to those willing to listen. I guess I'm willing, but sometimes my own ways get in the path of truly trusting Him.
Now, this works both ways: if the house belongs to God, and you live in it, you'd better keep it up. After all, you are the steward, the servant who wants to do what's right with the stuff God has entrusted to you. That's the part that I can miserably fail on.
So I am cleaning this week. Hope it looks great by Saturday.
We girls will have some fun too. It's what girls do!
I had a nice dream last night, that my husband got the job in Iowa. It was  dream, but so nice, I almost wish it really would work out. Dreams are funny. They do us a service in imagining possibilities. Of course our sub-consciences are grasping for any possibility at this stage. No worries. God always provides. This is a Truth. It is clearly God's word, with no question attached. I Will to trust Him in this. It may be another drop on the roller-coaster, but there's an upward or level track to come.

No comments: