"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Production Increase!

It's summer, and the creative juices are flowing freely.

I just hauled the junk out of the "inactivity" room (Yes, it should be the Activity Room, but it's so full of everyone's projects that no one does anything in there!) and set up the sewing machine in a pleasant setting.

It's amazing how a clear table top beckons for a project to be done.

My friend took me to visit her beautiful new office downtown, and the clean counters inspired me to get MY work stations in order.

So I did.

The table with the knitting machine is now just for Ed's knitting machine. My son is happily working up blankets and other items as I write.

My embroidery bag is right in front of me, but I don't plan to get to that until the sewing projects are COMPLETE!

I am not a happy sewer. I had the most wonderful and fun lessons as a young girl, but the perfectionist tendencies required for good products were never in my make-up. I do my best and most of the time the item fills the need for which it was made. Thankfully my mother-in-law is one of the most gifted sewers I know, so when I'm desperate for help I needn't look far!

And yet, I do think it is a skill worth developing. Margaret and Ed are both working on projects--a skirt, a blanket, and quilt.

The stamps have been used again to make some wrapping paper and a few cards. My X-stitch materials have been found. (Cherie must do one small one, just to learn how). A couple of summers ago we visited the Mille Lacs Indian Museum and learned to bead Indian bracelets. Now we have the looms to do that. Hooking rugs is one of those things that is so easy, but it takes discipline to keep at it until it's DONE!

Each project requires a minimum of skill, so it's sort of art class/school in a home school sense.

The last few days have been Minnesota summer cool. It is the best weather for inspiration. Brain function really turns on when the humidity levels go lower.

Prayers, please, for a young soldier leaving for Afghanistan next week. He is someone close to us. We all wish things were better there, but they aren't. This young man is exceptional: He has sent a letter home each day since he went away for his first training. It's been a journal of all he's experienced!

Yes, I'm pretty sure it will be a classic one day. It certainly could be. I got to read a few of the letters last summer, and they are candid accounts of each activity and every person he meets! Fun stuff.

When someone close is in harm's way it is easier to pray for all who are.

You know those old buildings on main streets of small towns? There is often one with pretty brickwork that spells out "Bee Hive." I think it was an old five-and-dime type of store, with needlework supplies.

I think the name fits. This house is as busy as our own beehives!




No comments: