"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, June 4, 2012

"Respectable Sins"

Somehow this title makes me think of some best-selling romance, but it is indeed no such thing.

This little book by Jerry Bridges convicts uncomfortably.

I read it yesterday while my gifted husband fixed two vehicles after church.

Two trips to church by one driver (me) got everyone to church in the remaining working vehicle.  

I am so thankful for a husband who is phenomenal with engines. Really. He can do it---whatever that car needs!

Anyway, the cars are both running. I got to read. (Nice Sunday)

"Respectable Sins" is being read by our church, collectively, almost like a church-wide book club.

It steps on toes. It make you say ouch. It isn't pleasant reading. It takes courage to get through the whole book.

I almost put it down and constructed a few barriers in my mind as I read, but forged bravely ahead.

I conquered it just before bed.

No, I didn't like it. It is worth reading though.

If you want to challenge yourself pick it up. Prepare for battle.

No comments: