"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, June 21, 2012

Unbroken

I'm having the best summer for reading!

The other night I finished "Unbroken," which I had started a long time ago, but hadn't got back to.

Funny that I have a survivor/raft/ocean theme going with some of my book choices this summer.  I'm in the middle of "Life of Pi," too.

We are reading the biography of Sadhu Sundar Singh again. I think I've read his story at least a dozen times (different bios and versions, my favorite is the one put out by Moody Press in 1950, Cyril Davey), and I am always inspired and touched by the power God in his tremendous story.

Through reading R.A. Dickey's bio I picked up a book he recommends, "The Power of One."  This book is gritty, but it touches you. It's about a young boy beating tremendous odds.

My ongoing fascination with Israel has me reading "The Letters of Jonathan Netanyahu," and this is also extremely interesting. Joni was killed in Entebbe, he was the older brother of Bibi.

I am always challenged and strengthened by reading stories of faith and hope. Even if the premise is not of Christ, I am doing mental war with the argument, testing my own understanding of my faith.

Storms have ravaged my home state, but our home was unscathed. Just last weekend my husband took the girls to a state park that is now raging with flash floods. It is incredible.

An old friend from high school lost his 12 year old Corgi yesterday. :(

Blackberry suffers from her ear problems, despite a $100.00 visit to the vet and medications.

I have had a pain issue since I saw my physical therapist (usually it is the other way around!) and I am affected by that (as usual).

But I am NOT on a raft drifting 2,000 miles in the Pacific Ocean, barely surviving on rainwater, sharks bumping the boat night and day.

It takes perspective, doesn't it?

I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me. That is a battle cry for being unbreakable.


No comments: