"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, July 26, 2012

Corrie's Wisdom

"Never be afraid to trust an unknown future to a known God."---Corrie Ten Boom

You know, no one better could have said that. "The Hiding Place," by Corrie Ten Boom, continues to be one of my all-time favorite books, heart-breaking though it is. It is such a picture of continued trust, and what it means to overcome difficulty, fear, tragedy, and loss with the power of God.

It's beautiful today, but it has been an interesting week.

Cherie started us out on Monday evening with a visit to the Emergency Room at the hospital to treat a broken collar bone.

Our Scout troop meets at a nice little park during the summer months, and she came along to play on the playground.

A simple swing toward the zip line, a maneuver mastered hundreds (if not thousands) of times, was missed and down she went.

I'm glad I didn't see it happen, as I had to drive her (calmly) to the E.R.. She was breathing, walking, and in pain, but not screaming in agony.

"Look at the poster with the faces on the wall there," said the nurse. "Which one describes how you feel?"

Cherie indicated the one that described the next- to severest pain level. She hurt!

Her arm is in a sling, and she must not jar it for four weeks. It was a clean break.

Boring days ahead for her, but we can trust God for healing, and patience.

I finished a "lazy man's" triathlon this morning. This involved swimming 2.5 miles, walking (or running) 26.2 miles, and biking 112 miles. Six weeks were given to complete the race. Tomorrow is the deadline, and I DID IT! I only had to put in two 20 plus mile- biking days during the race, so that helped.

My muscles are sore, but I really am glad to accomplish something I never thought I could! Doing a race like that takes planning, and a few times over the last week I almost gave up.

Time was the biggest factor. I am a slow mover, so everything took twice the time it would take someone more fit.

I am more fit. How could I not be?!

Now, to keep going in the "stay fit" direction! The biking was much more enjoyable than I had hoped it would be. I feel a new intimacy with the neighborhood. You wouldn't believe the wildlife I've met!.

Snipes do exist. I saw the "Common Bittern" twice on my bike rides.

Ed is playing his accordion at the nursing home monthly birthday party this afternoon. I know they will LOVE it!

Blackberry's ear continues to be a problem.  The surgery helped, but the problem is not solved. It continues to swell. Must figure out the next option.

Misty is getting a little fatter this summer. She isn't exactly a triathlon athlete. I'm going to have to get her out to Grandma's house more so she can run free.

Margaret comes home from camp today, and the older boys prepare for a busy weekend of sailing and softball.

Oh, and the cats? Well, they continue to be civil. Predicate cuffed Kiwi's tail the other day and he did not deign to respond. It was humorous. She's a feisty one.

The gardens are in the lily stage, all oranges and mauves. Tomatoes are ripening, pumpkins flowering (I HOPE they mature!), and apples thickening up. The heat has abated for now.

So another week of goals and activities, life experiences (for Cherie) and accomplishments is over.

On to the future!

No comments: