"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Thoughts of Heaven

I've written about heaven before, but I think about it often, and every once in awhile a new idea about heaven comes to mind for me.

Sometimes it's influenced by a book ("Farther up and farther in!" ---Chronicles of Narnia), or an author like Randy Alcorn. Remember what Keith Green said about heaven decades ago? (To paraphrase briefly it had to do with practicing heavenly things here on earth or heaven will be pretty foreign to us.) It stuck with me.

Since the Bible refers to hell more than to heaven we really don't know what to expect. I'm inclined to believe some of the "near-death" experiences I read about. There are just too many to refute, and some sound remarkably like what Scripture describes.

Paul himself did not try to describe his vision.

Indescribable.

I've been thinking about all the experiences we must give an account for in heaven. (Romans 14:12). Perhaps it will have only to do with our declaration of faith in Christ Jesus, but there are suggestions of behavioral issues at stake here as well.

Negative things happen to all of us. Each of us struggles with "the flesh." There seems to always be a downside, or under the surface of our actions the dark side of the war in our minds and thoughts. No one can deny this, as it is the human condition.

So what will heaven be like, with this insidious past battling in our memory?

I wonder if we will see the negative with a lens of positive outcomes. We will see the evil as it worked out the good. We will see only the positive of all the pain. We will be free of the dross of bad, and exist in pure light and love of Christ and all that is in Him.

I try to imagine the beauty of any dark thing transformed into light.

I do wonder about my friends who will linger in my memory who never trusted Christ as Savior.

For that I will have to trust the Lord.

And I will continue to pray for their souls.

Wide is the gate that leads to destruction, and many are on its path. Narrow is the gate that lead to life, and few will find it.

Believe! Joyful memories will abound!

(And Corgis? Well, I think that God's good creation will be made new, as Scripture states, and dear Corgis will enjoy being a part of that promise. Animals don't have spirits, but they certainly have emotions! After all, Corgis have to be one of the most happy and joyful of all God's creatures!)

No comments: