"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Retirement

Maybe I've had a taste of retirement the last few days, and I really don't think I'm going to get so much done during that phase of my life as I had thought.

I've been cleaning, sewing, ironing, reading, watching some of Caryl Matrisciana's DVD's, and having fun with friends. (Too much fun!)  I've been picking up sticks in the yard, too, after a powerful storm went through during the night Monday.

Fireworks were great, but they didn't play "What a Wonderful World," or "Funky Town," which we had been accustomed to hearing during the show! (I can't explain it, but hearing those songs once a year in that setting was sort of an Independence Day thing). The fireworks were lovely, and a little mouse ran under our lawn chairs in consternation at the hoards of people invading its territory.

I did take the time to listen to the Pipedreams organ concert (it was online) at the National Cathedral yesterday and it was excellent. I just wish Ed could have seen a duo playing the "Stars and Stripes!" Hope it's recorded, and easy to find.

It's been hot. That's not news to my American readers.

A tornado warning was issued for the region where Ed and Cherie are at camp last night. No news is now good news, and I assume it passed over with out harm. Oh the stories we'll get to hear!

I really can't wait for tomorrow, to fetch them from camp. It just isn't so wonderful when they are away!

Word from the Ukraine is that my children are completely thrilled to be there. I'm thrilled that they get to see a very different country, and have a fantastic life experience!

I signed up for a "Lazy-man's Triathlon" at the YMCA this summer. All I've done so far is walk 2 miles (I need to do 26), swam 1 mile (I need to swim 2.5 miles) and no biking yet (I need to ride 117 miles!!!). There are six weeks to complete it and I am on my third week already.


Hmmmmm. I'd better get in gear.

I'm blaming the heat. And my bike is not exactly in great shape. My wonderfully mechanical husband was going to take a look at it and get it ridable today.

Next week I'll have to show some real discipline.

Perhaps that is what retirement is all about? Practicing discipline! I need to get in practice.

No comments: