"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Thursday, August 2, 2012

When Life Imitates Fiction

Have you ever watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding?"  (I'd imagine few haven't).

There is so much in that story line that people can relate to, especially those of us who have dabbled cross-culturally in our lives: language mix-ups, clannishness, religious differences, misunderstandings.

We get a kick out of it, but we all could learn something too.

When things just aren't the way we think they should be it's nice to be reminded that there are many ways of seeing things. Often it's culturally related, too.

I happen to come from a stoic Scandinavian background (I'm half Swedish, and my other grandma was fully Norwegian.)

Sometimes my Minnesota culture/Scandinavian heritage colors my vision.

I think being so close to the arctic must have taught my people to conserve----even energy/ heat---which could be expended in an emotional outburst.

We tend to see emotions as wasteful expenditures. (Except at Vikings games)

I think this is our northern imbalance as humans. Pair us northerners with those who live closer to the equator and the worlds clash (quietly from our side!).

Our worldview colors our outlook as well.

Throw out the words bigot, intolerant, racist, ----phobe, and these be fightin' words!!

Just because your culture sees things differently doesn't mean you can demean.

I'll stand on the Bible. I guess you can call me and others what you want. It doesn't make any difference when you are rooted in a reality outside of yourself. Nothing can sway us.


God's culture has always been "called out" to be separate. Old and New Testaments. Jesus' Sermon on the Mount is greatly more severe than any Old Testament Law. As followers of Jesus we must adhere to the culture/trend setting wisdom of Christ, and be different.


It's rather touching in the movie, when the main characters accept each other's culture.

Perhaps we can all live with that. Or not? Who will be "intolerant"  now?

Those who love Christ (and love their "enemies") or those who don't.

Many will say "Lord, Lord!" and He will say, "I never knew you! Depart..."  

Them's FEARFUL words.

Worth Reading

No comments: