"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, May 6, 2013

Seeing Dimly

Wow, what a day. It's Monday, and it's a really busy week, but somehow things really took a downward pitch today.

We were reading about Samuel's response to Saul when he offered a sacrifice that was in rebellion to God's plan this morning.

Samuel said, "To obey is better than sacrifice."

He also said that rebellion is as the sin of witchcraft. Hmmmmmmmm.

Off I went my merry way to my book club where we discussed the book, "Molokai."

Here's where it went downhill:
I stated that the book was supposedly historical fiction, yet the characters were acting like they were from 2000, not 1890.

My friend (who is a believer) said that the titillating parts were completely unrealistic and unnecessary. (I agree.)

And I got the biggest outburst I've ever received for my opinion at book club: "______________ your ___________!!!!!!!!!"----said someone who I'll call J.

Wow. Up until now I've felt we could all share our ideas and thoughts on the book with little fear of being verbally attacked.

After turning a shade of embarrassed pink I tried to be gracious.

I didn't walk out. One of the gals said something soothing to J, "So, tell us how you REALLY feel, J!"

After a few titters we resumed a quieter discussion, and as it unfolded I was blessed with a thought: she's not rejecting me, she's rejecting what I believe. She knows I am a believing Christian.

It really helped me get  through the discussion, but after coming home I have been smarting, licking my wounds, and feeling sad.

I realize that my beliefs about God are different from what most people believe. I believe in the God of the Bible, a just and loving God, who means what He says, who is beyond my comprehension, but who makes perfect sense.

I believe that mankind is separated from God, evil, and only by His Grace through Jesus Christ are we saved. We can do nothing to earn our salvation, we can only believe, put our trust in Him and repent (turn away) from sin.

The Gospel.  I believe it, with all of my heart, and if someone else believes in a different sort of God, that is their prerogative.

But I will still love, still share, still try to be Christ-like, gracious, accepting, even as the message of Christ's Word is rejected.

Welcome to the last days. The lights are dimming all around us. We must be light in this ever-darkening world. It's a calling.

No comments: