"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Today's Treat--Millie's Rhubarb Cream Pie

I can't remember if I've posted this absolutely delicious pie that my husband always asks for every spring when the rhubarb begins to pop above the earth.

Ours is big enough to harvest enough for one pie right now. I'm making it.

We divided our two rhubarb hills three years ago into 9 rhubarb hills, out in a former garden spot. It's rather shady now, but it's the only place we could think of where we could continue to grow our much-loved ingredient!

Millie gave this recipe to my mom. She went to our church where I grew up.

Crust:

1 1/2 c. flour
2 T. milk
1/2 c. oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. sugar

Mix all ingredients in pie plate with fork. Press into the plate with fork or fingers.

Filling:

1 1/2 c. sugar
3 Tbs. (heaping) flour
1/2 tsp. nutmeg or cinnamon
1 Tbs. butter
2 well beaten eggs
3 cups rhubarb

Blend. Pour into the crust shell.
Bake 9"  pie at 450° for 10 minutes, then 350° (F) for 30 minutes

I'll get you photo tonight when it's done :)

No comments: