"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Monday, January 27, 2014

Bill Gothard and Idol Worship

Something is on my mind. It's the whole Bill Gothard debacle that is brewing. I know most people could care less about Bill Gothard, and what I think about him---or the whole subject, but I just want to rant for a minute. Don't read on if you have no interest.

Let me begin by saying that I have LOVED the books and literature that IBLP has put out about Character and the Commands of Christ. I think they are peerless. (Lost a few of you there....)

Bill Gothard is a man. A sinner, just like the rest of us. He is held to a much higher account because he is a teacher. Whatever twisted thinking is in his make-up or background is a part of his human nature, and there is little to commend in him or anyone with such issues. He must display Christ's character in his life, like anyone else.

But he's failed, just like most of us, if any of the accusations regarding his lurid behavior are true.

Because he has created an empire of "self-help" material, he is in the hot seat. He certainly should be condemned for his hypocrisy.

I'm thinking of Christ's dealings with the adulterous woman. Any of you WITHOUT SIN should cast the first stone.

In the condemnation I've been reading concerning him I see very little forgiveness, very little grace. I see a lot of bitterness. He should be rightly condemned by GOD when he has failed in his life, but God forgives the one who repents. I pray that God brings Gothard down if he's a fake.

But what about some of his literature? Should we "throw the baby out with the bathwater?"

I will say, with confidence, that what is GOOD should be lauded and listened to. What is junk should be thrown out. Having gone to the Basic Seminar for decades, I find little to criticize, much to commend. When I got to the Advanced Seminar I found less to commend, but still things of value.

DISCERNMENT!!!!

I'm thinking we should point the finger at those who elevated Bill Gothard to a pedestal. Those of YOU who decided to out-do Gothard with his "legalism" and his empire. You fell for it, hook, line, and sinker. You didn't show discernment, apparently.

Now it seems that the pain and anger from a lack of discernment is unleashed at a human being who is a sinner just like you and me. Sadly, the good things are trampled on in the stampede.

I know it will all sort itself out in the end. Those deserving judgement (especially those leading the 'little ones' astray) will burn. Will Gothard burn?

Somehow I doubt it. Truth will be truth, even if it comes from a less than pure source.

Let's have a mature attitude regarding all teachers.

Sheeple, let's pay attention to the Word of God, not one who teaches it, who writes about it, who leads us. That is idol worship, and I've seen so much of that in my life. Putting any man or woman on a pedestal is spiritual death.

There is a big church in my neck of the woods. I doubt I would fit in there, but I have one BIG compliment to give it. The church is called "Eaglebrook" and I have absolutely no idea who the pastor is. There are a bunch of people I know who have gone over to it, escaping heresies here and there, but I have yet to hear the name of the pastor!!

I commend that church.

On the other hand, who hasn't worshiped at the feet of John Macarthur, or John Piper, or Martin Luther----or Joel Osteen....

We do love our examples, our human leaders. What danger!

I have my own favorites (AW Tozer, Vance Havner, Hannah Hurnard) God forbid that I re-align my life to their teachings! What fallible folk.

I also really like Bill Gothard. But that's about it. He helped me through one of the deepest valleys I ever experienced in my life. He truly cared. I will always be grateful to him for his advice. It was truly inspired, and seems to have been exactly right for the situation. I have no criticism.

If he is the evil one that many believe him to be, I hope he falls mightily. (Better a millstone around his neck and drowned in the deepest part of the sea). But if he is a wounded and attacked soldier of Christ, may the truth prevail.

And stop worshiping PEOPLE. Worship God.

To those who have such deep resentment and bitterness I pray for their healing.  I pray that they would be able to get beyond their lack of discernment regarding idol worship. I pray they would grow and mature, and find peace, that they would get beyond their pain and brokenness.

And that mostly, they would trust Jesus.

No comments: