"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, January 10, 2014

Late Night Musings

It's one week since the wedding. We are getting back into the rhythm of our lives.

As big events become memories, and new things crowd the calendar to look forward to, we pause. We must pause. The lull is for breathing. We need to replenish.

After the last wedding we were hit by an unanticipated upheaval, it's nice to get through this one with relative stability. I confess that I watched what would unfold with a questioning spirit.

My friend told me a quote she heard about crisis in life-----it went something like "You are either looking back on a crisis, in the middle of one, or about to go through one..."

It's how you roll with it.

I confess that I long for Jesus more everyday. I have written the word "maranatha" around the house, and I cry it each morning.

Come quickly, Lord.

I am amazed at the ability of Christ-followers of the past to cling to Him and weather the storms of long life. I realize that we all must face each day, asking for our DAILY bread, and a long life is a victory of daily battles. It sobers me.

Yes, we are in this for the long haul, and our "Kingdom Life" has already begun-----that spiritual eternal life through salvation in Christ alone. We contend with our human nature and frailty only for a little while more.

Only a little while.

As Elijah felt a time of weary darkness after his great tasks on Mount Carmel, even we small ones must have rest for ourselves amidst life events.

I rest. I wait. I watch.

And I am so thankful.

"My yoke is easy. My burden is light."----Jesus


No comments: