"Only one life, 'twill soon be past
Only what's done for Christ will last."

Friday, March 21, 2014

John Rutter Jubilee with Vocal Essence

Tonight we were at Central Lutheran Church in Minneapolis for a Vocal Essence concert featuring the works of John Rutter.

The first half was a collection of shorter tunes. The second was his "Requiem."

Beautifully done!

I think he was supposed to be at this concert, but due to a health issue he was unable to make it. Had he been here he couldn't have been more pleased. The soprano soloist did a perfect job. Her voice was light and strong. I liked her version better than the recorded one we have since several years back.

I had the joy of hearing the "Requiem" back in the mid '90's at Northwestern College, Orange City. It was the first time I'd heard it, and I fell in love with the "Pie Jesu."

John Rutter is someone I've prayed for for several years now. Ever since I'd heard of his sadness/bitterness at the loss of his son, and subsequent turn to agnosticism, I've felt such sorrow for his soul.

That one who does not believe can communicate such spirit-soaring music, worshipful and lovely, is beyond my comprehension.

I think there are others that have been given a gift of music, even one to praise God, yet find true faith impossible. This makes little sense to me, but it mustn't.

Today we watched the movie, "God isn't Dead."

It's about atheism, agnosticism, and ultimately bitterness against God. It's dry in a couple of places, but only because it has such heady themes. If you go, stay with it. There are some very profound truths well conveyed. It's an excellent one for discussion!

I always find it interesting to see things in a day come together in theme-like precision. As I listened to the gorgeous music I couldn't help but think of John Rutter, his beliefs, the philosophical film we saw, and a burden for those who are lost.

Last weekend we, Cherie and I, loved the 4 Bach concerts at 4 different venues in St. Paul, all close to or by Summit Avenue. The organs were magnificent, the talented musicians (violin, piano, cello, harpsichord, besides organ were played) gifted us with the joy of Bach.

The evening before that we were pleased to see our son sing with the Concordia Chapel Choir at a church near St. Paul. Michael Culloton masterfully conducted the 111-voice choir through gorgeous works----including Aaron Copeland's "Genesis." Wow.

I'm so glad my son got to be a part of that. Look for some of the concert recordings to turn up on You Tube, as the videographer routinely puts up selections from such concerts. He is also a member of our Northern Lights Chorale.

As you can see, our musical choices lately have been stellar. We are spoiled here in the Twin Cities!

Add to these events friends visiting from out-of-town (they didn't sleep here this time) and Margaret's spring-break trip to Arizona, the usual stuff like school, swimming and choir, doctor's appointments and the piano tuned...

Life at Corgi Hollows.

Tomorrow is a day of rest.

Requiem.

Concordia Chapel Choir from last week

No comments: